Algae problems

gaboozlebag:
an excert from The Modern Coral Reef Aquarium by Fossa and Nilsen: " It may take between 4 and 12 weeks until stable populations of nitrifyinjg bacteria have developed........Within the first few months considerable changes in the growth of the algae can be observed. The normal course of events will be that at first diatoms will grow considerably,, a development that is reduced by the decrease of the silicate concentration of the aquarium water. Soon after blue green algae will grow for a short while befor the green filimentous algea and perhaps leafy algae take over. This sequence ,however, is not always the same but may differ from one aquarium to the next."

my thought is: my tank went through the same cycles of algae that were described in Fossa and Nilsens GREAT BOOK. It took patience and effort(cleaning the algae out of tank), and NOT overstocking, and my tank went through the maladies you are experiencing.. With time, patience, and good husbandry your tank should work through these issues. It is part of the normal progression of a reef tank. Don't be too discouraged,, most good things take time, and your tank will be a jewel that you are proud of.

I recommend that you READ READ and READ more about this great hobby and you WILL get many answers to you concerns befor you even have to ask online, there are Great books out there that should be a part of every reefers in home library..."The Reef Aquarium" series by Delbeek and Sprung is a in house must have,,no borrowing,,need to have in house to be able to reference as needed,,, I am very partial to the Fossa And Nilsen books also. Very informative.
Any other book suggestions out there?
HAng in there gaboozle:)

"looks like Cyano, and Dinoflagellates to me."

YES!!!!

The ID is Key here, that really looks like at least some of it is dino's - they are evil! (sorry to say it) Dino's are also quite different to deal with than other nusiance algaes.

No offense to anyone, but this thread is going in all sorts of directions.

-There is not a single valonia bubble in any of those pics that I can see ("bubble algae")
-RODI will give you water that is free of nutrients normally associated with most nusiance algae's.

* Assuming that is dino's mixed in there are a few key points in dealing with it;
-Snails aren't the answer, they are often poisoned by eating it.
-Siphioning it out is also virtually useless
-water changes may make it worse

--To fight it, High alk and Elevated PH. That's it. Please do a search on dinoflagellates.

IME, a major kalk drip is the way to win. Everything else is about as effective as banging your head on the wall over and over while burning $20 bills at the same time.

*Why am I so opinionated about dino's someone must be wondering? Because I have battled them twice and it was the two worst experiences I've had in reefkeeping. Both times I followed the usual commonly generic nusiance algae fighting reccomendations. Both times it went on and on until I just got a heavy kalk drip going to keep the PH elevated.
The second, and worse time I dealt with dino's was last year. It went on for almost 6 months, I could barely stand to look at my tank anymore.

I picked up a high quality dosing pump that runs at a rate that allows it to run 23 hours a day (about %90 of the evap) and hooked that up to my kalk reactor. The dino's crashed in a day or two, and were totally gone within a week. (after a 5-6 month losing battle).

*that's why I'm so opinionated. I may not know it all about dino's, but please at least do some reading on dinos specifically, and study any pics you can find.

I hope this rant helps and doesn't sound rude or unhelpful.

jk

Back