Another LED fixture

Cjtabares

PBITAWA
BRS Member
I am thinking about building a 24 diode LED fixture. Would this lay out work? That tank is 24"x24"18". And if so what spacing should I go with?

B***W***B***W
**W***B***W***B
W***B***W***B
**B***W***B***W
B***W***B***W
**W***B***W***B

If another layout would work better LMK

Thanks
Chris

Last edited:
you could up it to 25 leds and run a 5x5 array since the tank is a cube, otherwise if you are going to stick with what you have now go with 6 wide instead of 4 wide. it will be more visually appealing

The whites are stronger than you think, they wash out the blue very easily. I would seriously consider using a 2:1 blue to white ratio
Most of my input/opinions are in my DIY threads, you're welcome to come by Chris.

Last edited:
you could up it to 25 leds and run a 5x5 array since the tank is a cube, otherwise if you are going to stick with what you have now go with 6 wide instead of 4 wide. it will be more visually appealing

What would be the best way to wire 25 LEDs? Don't the drivers hold 12 each?

The whites are stronger than you think, they wash out the blue very easily. I would seriously consider using a 2:1 blue to white ratio
Most of my input/opinions are in my DIY threads, you're welcome to come by Chris.

I was told I would be able to get the look of anywhere from 10k-20k if I went with a 1:1 ratio.

I was told I would be able to get the look of anywhere from 10k-20k if I went with a 1:1 ratio.

It depends on which White LEDs you are going to use, yes a 1:1 if you are using XP-E whites and blues, but if you use XP-G whites with the XP-E blues you will have a very white tank, the XP-Gs are much stronger

the newer xp-e RB can run 13 to a 48v driver, also if you look for the highest bin, i forget the code number but theyre 500mw per watt vs the older ones that are 350 that will help balance the color with the xpg.

if you are going to go 2b 1w get neutral whites instead of cool white. you might also want to up the amount of leds total because 8 whites might not cover the whole tank.

It depends on which White LEDs you are going to use, yes a 1:1 if you are using XP-E whites and blues, but if you use XP-G whites with the XP-E blues you will have a very white tank, the XP-Gs are much stronger

I have all XR-E's, which I believe is the same basic led as the XP-E, but with a slightly larger footprint. With a 2:1 ratio, and both blues and whites at the same setting, the tank is very white/yellow. The XP-G is stronger, and I believe more in the yellow spectrum than the XR-E/XP-E, so it would be even more yellow.
I guess what I'm saying is that IMO/IME, 1:1 is still way too much white/yellow. I did my first fixture with 5:3 blue to white, and ended up stripping it down and redoing it 2:1 because it was too yellow. I know bobbofin just replaced a bunch of his led's to switch to 2:1 also for the same reason.
I also saw plenty of sources saying that 1:1 was good, but IME/IMO everything I've seen with it is so yellow that the whites need to be dimmed WAY down to get a more appealing look, even if you like 10k.

i have a 1 to 1 xr-e and im happy with the color at equal levels, i used to run the blues higher but i guess my taste has changed over time

Doctaq u built a LED fixture that is at skiptions. It looked like 2 blue:1 white, I don't know what brand it was but it was way to blue for me. So I plan on going 1:1 dimmable. I still might have to take u up on that offer and come check your yank out Kevin, maybe pick up a few acans if u have any for sale. You still have any of the o e that you lost almost the whole colony?

the fixture that i built into the desk lamp had two settings for the whites, but yes i agree that it was very blue, that was back when i was experimenting with drivers. theres a 1 to 1 on the freshwater side reef tank.

Back