Anyone with an Octopus Skimmer & Needle Wheel - Please help

Think its time to take a look inside the pump for any blockage of the water or air input. You should be able to tell if its producing bubbles after inspecting by running in a bucket salt water might be better but fresh should do just to see if its producing more bubbles.

Jim

Think its time to take a look inside the pump for any blockage of the water or air input. You should be able to tell if its producing bubbles after inspecting by running in a bucket salt water might be better but fresh should do just to see if its producing more bubbles.

Jim

Jim, please read:
Well, I took the pump all apart, there was no debris or anything blocking the air. Now I'm baffled.
Maybe what I have is the correct amount of bubbles for this thing?
Sure doesn't look like it compared to my backpack skimmer and Berlin Airlift skimmer.

looks like what happens when in fresh water to me.

This is in fresh water - I didn't think it would behave differently just because of that. I have some saltwater mixed up in a bucket - I'll submerge the skimmer in that and see what happens.

I hadn't mixed the salt in yet, because I just wanted to see if anything leaked.
Wow, I put the pump in the bucket of saltwater and there's a big difference!
Whodathunkit?

Thanks, Josh!
I'll mix in salt and hook it up to the skimmer again to see if that fixes things.

Last edited:
Is it in freshwater or saltwater?

Good call Abbey!
Never woulda thought of that one.

Now that you mention it, I saw the same thing when running my ASM for the first time. Then when I mixed in the salt, it worked fine.

Yay! Thanks!!
P7070020rs.jpg

Thank you, everyone for your input!

Last edited:
Gina, you should look into doing the mesh mod on your NW. I think most folks are happy with the mod.

still not 100%, this is what i get with no mods, i would think you should be getting the same

Attachments

• octopus.jpg
    octopus.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 207
I agree. I have a full chamber of bubbles like above, the mod just seems to make them finer. I know it's new but seems real light. Is the riser tube back on??

I put the riser back on and the water level raised back to the level of the neck. Is that where it's supposed to be?
The bubbles still look good.

still not 100%, this is what i get with no mods, i would think you should be getting the same

I get nothing like that. But could it be because I have clean water?
Remember, I just filled it this afternoon with RO/DI water. There's nothing to make skimmate yet. Wouldn't that make a difference?

I get nothing like that. But could it be because I have clean water?
Remember, I just filled it this afternoon with RO/DI water. There's nothing to make skimmate yet. Wouldn't that make a difference?

its been running like that from day one

Hmm. Well, it's looking better since I've raised the salinity some more..
What do ya think?
P7070021rs.jpg

P7070025rs.jpg

I sure would like to get more info on that mod. Is there another way to get that info without the podcast?

I have a Octo 110. It works absolutely awesome, better than any ASM. I sold my ASM, it was junk. I have the riser tube adjusted to be even with the shoulder of the main body. Also I have the water level in the sump about 3" below the same shoulder area per an Octo support email posted here. When the water level is that high it causes less head pressure on the pump so more flow. It didn't sound right when I read the email but when I tried it works. It is now "set it and forget it." I empty the cup of dark green sludge evevy 4-5 days. I couldn't be happier! I will not be modding it, it works awesome!

Back