Anyone with an Octopus Skimmer & Needle Wheel - Please help

Picture of my ASM-G3, this skimmer rocks!! It has both the recirculation and gate valve mod, I can't see any reason to mod the pinwheel although I have an extra pump and will likely try it. With the gate valve mod I can with 1/2 turn run wet or dry. Another thing with this skimmer it is truly set and forget, I had a Deltec & Aqua-C 120 prior to this and they both needed continues tweeking.

The cup is clear in the picture as I was just setting it up.

Jim

Attachments

• skimmer-web.jpg
    skimmer-web.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 215
Jim, I did the mesh mod to my G3. It does make a big difference, but almost too much. I am actually going to cut my riser tube down today because I can't get it low enough.

Gina What was the Salinity at in those pictures, and which octo skimmer did you get?

The first pics there was no salt at all - I just set everything up with fresh to see if there were any leaks and if everything worked properly.
After your suggestion, I added salt and brought it up to 1.023.

Gina, the bubbles on an octopus with a mesh mod look like the attached pic, and it is really a worthwhile mod.

This should also give you an idea of what you water level should be near. On the skimmer that was shipped to me, there was actually a magic marker line on the skimmer body near the pump input.....which I assumed was an optimal level. If you look in the picture, you can see the line (level was low in the picture). I get amazing skimming if the water is at that level

If your sump water height is too high, consider adding a couple of pieces of eggcrate, or even a PVC table with an eggcrate 'top' to get it to the right height.

Last edited:
you get a full cup of nice dark thick 'low-tide-sewage smell' skimmate 2x a week :D

Not that I would run without it as a control, but my tank's 'trate parameters got a lot better after I upgraded to that puppy.

Thank you!
Can I get that egg crate stuff at Home Depot? And what department would I find it in?

Thank you!
Can I get that egg crate stuff at Home Depot? And what department would I find it in?

yes it can be found in home depot, you will find it in the flourecent lighting section as thats what its used for. About $10 a sheet 4 x 2 1/2 long roughly.

my octo did the same thing. turn on skimmer and blow in the air tube and see if that makes a difference. That was the only way mine would start making the correct bubble. I sent the pump back and got a new one and it works fine although latlely I have to blow in it about once every 10 starts, might need cleaning. Any way the pic of people with the mods done are not w whole lot different then mine without mods as far as bubbles but it does appear they have a little more. Also like you i found out it had to be in something other then fresh water. I first got mine and no bubbles at all until i added vinegar to clean it then got some until i figured out blowing in the tube got it going and that it was defective. hope this works

Gina, it's worth the pilgrimage down to Marlboro to have the NeO meshmod your pump. you could probably just mail down your impeller down and get it built out that way. I could make sure the mesh worked with my pump while Gustavo and I have one of our very occasional beer tastings :D

I can't speak for how the address labeling would work for the return package though, unless we addressed the package before the tasting(s) :rolleyes:

Sorry, I'd prefer to supervise the beer tasting myself. If there's any fun going on, I wanna be there! :p
I'd love to drive down there and see how it works (not the beer tasting - the meshmod!) I'll PM Gustavo.

I could make sure the mesh worked with my pump while Gustavo and I have one of our very occasional beer tastings :D

Jay,

I don't think at this point you can call them "beer tastings", I think it's more like quality control.:D

Gina,

The mod can't hurt so I'd take the trip.

I have my skimmer in 9 inches of water and it doesn't skimmer crap. Do I need to lower the water level like the picture below for it to skim?

Gina, the bubbles on an octopus with a mesh mod look like the attached pic, and it is really a worthwhile mod.

This should also give you an idea of what you water level should be near. On the skimmer that was shipped to me, there was actually a magic marker line on the skimmer body near the pump input.....which I assumed was an optimal level. If you look in the picture, you can see the line (level was low in the picture). I get amazing skimming if the water is at that level

If your sump water height is too high, consider adding a couple of pieces of eggcrate, or even a PVC table with an eggcrate 'top' to get it to the right height.

Skimmers skim well when they have fine bubbles fractionating out the skimmate. What kind of skimmer is it, and how heavy is your bioload?

I have a pretty heavy bioload. I have a leather coral in my 92 that probably weighs 6 or 7 pounds all by itself :eek: ....3 anemones, 15 fish, half a dozen shrimp, conchs, crabs, turbo snails, then the rest of the corals....:eek:

Even with a 120G sump, 40G fuge, DSB and probably 300# of LR, I know I'm heavily stocked. Lots of waste....lots of skimmate.

Since it sounds like there are quite a few people that haven't modded their needle wheels yet we should all get together and have a mod party!

Back