Bad,Bad heater

willray

Division Champs
Got a fu manchu lion fish sunday.had his own cycled 30 gal and was looking
real good until...My wife had called me at work to say my tank was smoking and bubbles(smell)and sparks were coming from the heater.She unpluged it but it was to late.he got electricuted? :( .It was pluged into small power strip that didn't even trip.Good thing the wife had a cancellation and she came home when she did.That could have been a big problem.

it was a marineland 100 watt less than a year old. no gfi. it is a cheap little power/surge strip.axania got wacked also.gone!

sorry to hear that Bill....suprised the circuit breaker didn't trip either. Lucky...could have been worse. LMK if I can help.

I have a free power strip for you. Sorry for your lost. By the way, where did you get the Fu Man Chu lion? I never be able to find one anywhere. All I can find is dwarf turkey lion fish.

Last edited:
Thanks All,
Thanks Dz but got a couple.just going gfi on that circuit.I got the fish from All About Animals in fitchburg.They are growing fast.I told them it looked like dwarf turkey fish and they said"what is a turkey fish"LOL

About the circuit breaker, it won't flip unless the current exceeds 15 or 20 amps, and a slow electrical leak in saltwater probably won't exceed that. GFCI is really designed to detect those slow leaks.

geez sorry to hear about ur loss.. but liek everyone said it could have been a huge disaster, at least everyone is alright.

Scuba_Dave Bummer....my wife wants a Lion fish, they are cool --> I have had several lion fish in the past, i love them... except I hate the live feeding issue. But be very careful if you get a large one, I got stung by my 8inch lion about 4 yrs ago and man does that hurt!! Plus the ER trip isn't fun either!! Not to mention he died less than a week later, I htink it took all his energy away :D

Back