Bad sand?

I think the Southdown (Old Castle package) sand that I got a while ago may be what has been causing all my tank problems this last year. it isn't sugar sized, it is about 1-2mm in size, much larger and courser than the southdown. I just took some out and am doing a vinegar test on it. It bubbles but not a whole heck of a lot, about 20-30 sugar sized bubbles per square inch, is there any amount of bubbles I should be looking for?

Can you take a pic? Sand would be unlikely to cause major problems even if it was a different type. They sell a "white playsand" that looks like crushed quartz which will bubble a little bit, but the grains are pointy rather than round. Crushed coral can trap poop and cause some nitrate problems.

~Flighty~ said:
Can you take a pic? Sand would be unlikely to cause major problems even if it was a different type. They sell a "white playsand" that looks like crushed quartz which will bubble a little bit, but the grains are pointy rather than round. Crushed coral can trap poop and cause some nitrate problems.

Geez, is ANYTHING easy in this hobby? :confused:

Back