Building an overflow

kastanzaman

Non-member
I am planning on getting a 20G tank drilled to use as a fuge. I plan on having this drain back to my sump. so i need to somehow incorporate a drain or build some sort of overflow on the tank.
Has anyone done this, or have any suggestions on how to best do this. Obviously my main concern is avoid overflows during power outages or having a design that would easily become clogged.

I'd just put a strainer fitting on the bulkhead. Then an external durso outside the 20.

Or if you want an overflow box, make it out of glass or acrylic and silicone.

Last edited:
you can use your return plumbing (steals power from recirc) or drain plumbing (bubble issues)to supply the fuge to save on electric and clutter in sump

I am planning on running a return pump that should provide plenty of flow to supply the main tank and the fuge. the fuge would then just drain back to the sump. So the durso rises above water level and then just has a hole dirlled in it to allow air to escape?

Elbow inside the tank facing down. goes through bulkhead to outside of tank. Then connects to a Tee fitting. The top of the tee has a cap on it with a hole drilled for a vent. The bottom of the tee drains to your sump.

If youd rather have a box around the elbow, rather than use a strainer (not sure if clogging would be an issue with that) you could just get 4 pieces of glass cut at a glass shop and silicone a box around the bulkhead/elbow.

Nate

That was the other option i was considering. I don't know the likely hood of the strainer clogging vs. the overflow box. But it would suck to come home and find the fuge overflowed because algae clogged up the overflow.

I don't think you'd have that problem with an overflow box. My chaeto never makes it over the glass baffle that defines the fuge in my sump. You could make it safer by fixing an acrylic comb to the top of the glass box.

Nate

If you can get to Sea Creatures in Revere/Lynn, they have a bunch of used 20 L pre drilled with overflows for $30 I think. They did a week ago anyway...

Back