Building large tanks

Jollyguy

Non-member
Hi All,

I am looking to buy an 8ft long tank (see my post in WTB section). Some members suggested that I build my own as it will be very expensive buying and having it shipped. A couple of days ago I went through all the threads in the DIY section of this forum, but couldn't find any thread on this topic. A couple of people seem to have done it all by themselves, but no details are listed. I am sure that details on how to do this will serve many of us on this forum and so hope that the experienced people can chime in... Thanks.

Hi All,

I am looking to buy an 8ft long tank (see my post in WTB section). Some members suggested that I build my own as it will be very expensive buying and having it shipped. A couple of days ago I went through all the threads in the DIY section of this forum, but couldn't find any thread on this topic. A couple of people seem to have done it all by themselves, but no details are listed. I am sure that details on how to do this will serve many of us on this forum and so hope that the experienced people can chime in... Thanks.

Search for Liam's tank build. Has pics and all... Its in the DYI section. He's done a very nice job with it.

Are you only interested in building a glass tank? I built a 350 gl plywood/glass tank that's been running about three years now. Cost around $700 to build including the plumbing and stand.

questions

Thank you everyone for directing me to the correct thread. However, there are still a lot of questions... For example, Liam built a custom size relatively "smaller" tank :) If, for example I intend to build 8ft rectangular tank, does the thickness of glass remains the same as Liam's? If not, what is the appropriate thickness? Where to get the glass from (any glass company or someone specific?)? Does the gap between the glass still remains the same irrespective of the size of aquarium? How to position the glass correctly in proper orientation (90 degrees to everything else)? And is it guaranteed by the glass company that all pieces will be exact rectangles (90 degrees)? What is that tool with orange handles holding on to the glass? And then how do you "eurobrace" the tank? Everyone knows the cheap ones with center plastic brace, is the eurobracing on all four sides? If so, how to do it? Why is the blue tape applied to the glass (to prevent accidental application of silicone on the areas where it is not supposed to be?)? Finally, if it "seems" so easy to do it, why isn't building your own tank more common? :)

Pat H., I haven't limited my options to glass only. I am open to anything that is easily doable and comes out cheaper than buying it. Since this is supposed to go in the wall, it doesn't matter if it is made of plywood or glass or acrylic as long as I can view it from one of the "long" sides :D

Pat H., I haven't limited my options to glass only. I am open to anything that is easily doable and comes out cheaper than buying it. Since this is supposed to go in the wall, it doesn't matter if it is made of plywood or glass or acrylic as long as I can view it from one of the "long" sides :D

If your doing an in wall setup the plywood/glass is a good option IMO. Your welcome to stop by and check out my tank if you like.

Liam built a custom size relatively "smaller" tank If, for example I intend to build 8ft rectangular tank, does the thickness of glass remains the same as Liam's? If not, what is the appropriate thickness?

Glass thickness depends on the height of the tank more than anything else, that will be the primary factor determining it's thickness.

Where to get the glass from (any glass company or someone specific?)?
Call around to local glass companies and feel them out in regards to pricing and whether or not you think they are relatively good people to deal with.

Does the gap between the glass still remains the same irrespective of the size of aquarium?
I have found from personal experience that a gap of between .040 and .050 of an inch have worked well for me on my larger builds. I arrived at these #'s through researching as best I could and through trial and error.

How to position the glass correctly in proper orientation (90 degrees to everything else)?
Properly dry fitting the tank before applying silicone is 90% of what makes a nice tank (after cutting and polishing) IMO. Take your time getting everything just so before applying the adhesive, as with anything else.

And is it guaranteed by the glass company that all pieces will be exact rectangles (90 degrees)?
Again, call around, talk to some local shops, and I would take the time to talk to them in person to feel them out before ordering your glass. You need to be clear what it is you are looking for, be specific on what is important, and make sure you get the feeling that they "understand". So far I have had good experiences with my local glass companies, these people do this for a living, they should know what they are doing. Don't go to some crappy hole in the wall place run by a parcel of meatballs just to save a buck, you should feel comfortable that these people are professionals.

What is that tool with orange handles holding on to the glass?

Those are clamps. ;)

And then how do you "eurobrace" the tank? Everyone knows the cheap ones with center plastic brace, is the eurobracing on all four sides? If so, how to do it?
Euro-bracing is like a lip or rim that goes around the entire periphery of the tank preventing excess bowing and flexing which can lead to glass and joint failure. There are a number of different ways this is done, I will tell you how I did mine... My Euro-bracing is two layers thick totaling 1" overall thickness. The first layer runs around the inside edge of the rim of the tank, flush with the top surface, then, the second layer is placed on top of this overlapping the first layer and the top edge of the tank's rim as well.

Why is the blue tape applied to the glass (to prevent accidental application of silicone on the areas where it is not supposed to be?)?
The tape is used to create a nice straight clean edge to the silicone, after the silicone is applied and the fillet is created, the tape is removed leaving a nice professional looking silicone line. Accidental messes are easily cleaned (after curing) with a sharp razor blade.

Finally, if it "seems" so easy to do it, why isn't building your own tank more common?
It takes a little bravery and a lot of confidence to do this. I have built several, and that first night of water testing still makes me nervous. I know when I am done that the tank will be just fine, but, that doesn't keep me from tossing and turning a bit that first night with hundreds of gallons of water just dying to break free and reek havoc and destruction on the surrounding area. :eek: :eek:

Plus, most people just want a nice tank and aren't sure of their ability to build one. To be honest, there is a bit of a learning curve, and your first attempt probably wont come out "just so" unless you are a meticulous and patient person. Working with silicone and glass takes getting used to, but then again, you don't have to go through the whole learning curve from scratch, you can build from what I have learned to this point, and this should save you some mistakes at least. At this point I think I could build a tank that could stand up to the work of any major manufacturer, but it has been a long road getting here.

This is also a good option, I have seen some very nice builds done this way, and I would imagine it could be done for cheaper $ if you don't need 4 sides of glass.

Last edited:
Back