Calcium Reactor Do i need one?

lennyco

Non-member
Im starting a 110 gal, i will be doing softies and would like to try a couple of clams, No sure do i need a calcium reactor any help out there :confused:

For softies and a clam or 2 you can probably get away with kalk water or a 2 part dosing system. It will really come down to your calcium demand.

IMHO if you have a substantial calcium demand a Calc reactor is invaluable

Second on what Greg (Delta) said.

IMO no one NEEDS a Ca reactor, but If your livestock needs steady high ca and alk, a Ca reactor can be/is invaluable. Without one you will need to do a lot of manual 2 part dosing, and a lot of testing. Dial in a reactor, and all you need to do is occasional testing to make sure things are in check, and occasional adjustments.

Some people are super meticulious and have no issue at all testing and dosing daily. Personally I'm lazy. I'd say normal human lies in between :)

Here's a quick thread I started not long ago seeking other's opinions re: a reactor on my tank which is all softies with a few clams. I think Greg Hiller's post sums it up very well.
http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55691

I agree with jimmyj7090. It all depends on need. We have a lot of SPS so we run a reactor at about 450. If you have mostly softies and clams, you don't have as big a need.

Last edited:
Back