Can you keep SPS with 2 x 55w 50/50 10,000k & Actinic T5 Power compact lamps

arda

sohal tang
Hi, I am waiting for my rsm130d to arrive and it comes with 2 x 55w 50/50 10,000k & Actinic T5 Power compact lamps. Do you guys think if I can have SPS with these lights or do I have to change them if I do what kind would be the best? Thanks in advance.

What size tank? And 4 bulbs total or just two?

According to RSM 130D specs it's 110W total.

I would say no. U might be able to grow "Some" types of SPS if it's all the way up top. But I doubt Acros and most SPS would do well. But maybe I am wrong, I am not familiar with the type of T5 bulbs and reflectors Red Sea Max uses. But in reality you will probable need to upgrade the lights in the long run to have success with SPS.

Higor

I completely missed where the OP said RSM130D! Overall I agree with what you said though Higor. SPS may do ok if kept up high, but ideally you would upgrade at some point. My Green Slimer actually grew pretty well in my JBJ 28 which had 105W PC lighting (so pretty similar given your tank size). Lower light SPS should be fine with it though.

you can try but the color is going to be weak. ive seen weirder things happen in this hobby. 110w of pc could grow or at least sustain certain sps...digi, slimer, monti, milles maybe...I personally think its a waste of money and coral but if you buy a cheap tester frag and after 2-3 months its not dead and has decent color and has encrusted then add some more.

I hear some people they retro fit the light and use LED's any of you know who sells them?

I have the same tank and did this LED upgrade! I love it and my corals do too!!!;)
http://www.rapidled.com/red-sea-max-130d/

Under the Stock lighting I was able to grow Red Cap and Sour Apple Pocillopora, but the color and growth is so much better with the LED upgrade.
When I was using the stock lighting, I had to keep SPS very high in the tank.

Back