Carbon Buy: Resin Depot

You sure that is 32 pounds? It says the package is 1 cubic foot... no way that volume of carbon equals 32 pounds.

If 1 cubic foot weights 36 lbs, those are very low grade carbon. More like coal.

I check the web site, it actually is:
Bituminous coal is a relatively hard coal containing a tar-like substance called bitumen. It is of better quality than lignite coal but of poorer quality than anthracite coal.

Bituminous coal is an organic sedimentary rock formed by diagenetic and submetamorphic compression of peat bog material.

Bituminous coal has been compressed and heated so that its primary constituents are the macerals vitrinite, exinite, etc. The carbon content of bituminous coal is around 60-80%, the rest is composed of water, air, hydrogen, and sulphur which have not been driven off from the macerals.

The heat content of bituminous coal ranges from 21 to 30 million Btu/ton (24 to 35 MJ/kg) on a moist, mineral-matter-free basis.

Bituminous coal is usually black, sometimes dark brown, often with well-defined bands of bright and dull material. Bituminous coal seams are stratigraphically identified by the distinctive sequence of bright and dark bands and are classified accordingly as either "dull, bright-banded" or "bright, dull-banded" and so on.

More like coal.

This is also the source of many GB's on RC.

I've never heard of a 'low grade' carbon made from Bituminous coal. In fact, it's the most used carbon on the market. this type of carbon has the best transitional pore size for water filtration.

spoke to the guy again about the product..if interested call him and see what he says. Tell him why you say it's 'low grade' and see what his responses are.

keep in mind this stuff is packaged tight as hell..not the free laying stuff you get in a black diamond container.

marinelands write-up on carbon:
http://www.marineland.com/articles/16activatedcarb.asp

BTW what type of carbon are you using?

Last edited:
I just filled a 8" square box of coal I bought from Liquid which he obtained form a previous group buy and it weighs 15lbs.
8? cubed is 512 sq in, 1? cubed is 1728 sq in. so that means 1 cu/ft weighs 3.375 times as much or 50lbs if it?s the same type of coal that is.

also,,depending on grain size it can weight more.
their 12x50 mesh weighs about 48lbs per 1 ft3

so depending on the ash content (more ash = dryer,lighter weight) and grain size, the weight per 1 ft3 will vary.

nobody uses carbon anymore?
if you get some and don't like it..i'll just buy it back from you..it has a 3 yr shelf life..so i'll end up using it anyway.

can someone get dong's nonsensical banter off here?
or just delete this thread and i'll attempt to start over if dz6whatever can stop trashing the board..

I have a bag of those carbon in my basement (from a pooled order) and I will never buy those again. You are welcome to it for free if you want to use those.

There are plenty of good source for good activated carbon online for a little bit more.

Last edited:
It was a 'resin depot' pooled order?

I'm specifically looking for Bituminous coal carbon and not lignite.
also not coconut as it's not as good for basic aquarium filtering.
give me another online source please..

i know of one ebay source that sells it for $2.00/lb

again,,where did you get your carbon from?

here is another link explaining the properties of carbon for anyone interested. includes graph outlining some properties of 17 'brand name' carbons.

2 largest properties to look for are PO4 leaching and grain size.

exerpt:
"It is generally stated that bituminous coal is the best base material for the manufacture of liquid-phase carbons because it offers the best compromise of hardness, pore size, surface area and ash content."

http://web.archive.org/web/20030315...k.com/fish2/aqfm/1997/jul/product/default.asp

Last edited:
Back