Catching a fish in a large tank

joefitz

Non-member
So, I decided that I want to get rid of the coral beauty in my tank. It was forced upon me last year by someone breaking down his tank -- the guy who was supposed to pick it up bailed last minute and I was taking everything else...so I had to take him. And now the little dude is picking at my clams.

Ugh.

How the heck am I supposed to catch him? He's one of the least social fish in my tank, I'd say the only two he has beat are my watchman goby and my orchid dottyback.

I do have a slight urge to re-aquascape...but I'm not particularly interested in taking out ALL, or even most, of the rock... 330g tank...it isn't fun.

Anyone have any special magic pointers? What about a really large clear plastic bag...maybe I could secure the edges inside the tank and leave the mouth of the bag open and then if he goes in, I can just close the bag? Sounds like a pipe dream but I don't know, maybe it would work, no?

Joe

I finally got a yellow tang out of my tank that was impossible to catch by turning on the lights in the middle of the night and he was a little blinded by it for a couple secs and a scooped him up with the net

I battled a round of ich 6 months back that was introduced from a flame angel. I spent 3 hrs trying to catch with a net. I then took out 100 of the 140 lbs of rock just to spend another hr. I put him in a 30 gal and treated with copper. He didn't make it. Could have been the stress of the 4 hr battle or copper. Not sure.
2 weeks went by and my butterfly now had it. I bought me an acrylic Fish trap. Baited it with shrimp and caught him in 2 mins. I hear a plain hook without the sharp end works well also. Good Luck
Rich

Joe, the lights on in the middle of the night does work great if you know where it sleeps. I did the same thing with a flash light fishing out a yellow tang and a pearl jawfish. They were so stunned that they refused to move. I actually guided the yellow tang out of a corner with a small brine shrimp net and then used the big net to remove it. Also the fish trap that David P. and Paul and Doug were loaning worked great. I removed a rabbit fish and a six line wrasse with that.

Joe, I gave a big acrylic trap to David Perry (JustDavidP) last meeting. I think he's offering it around as a BRS fish trap. Give him a holler if you want it.

Nate

Back