Choosing the right Vortechs for my tank

wolffman1992

Non-member
So I will be upgrading my power heads to Vortechs soon. I have a 72 gallon bowfront tank with mainly sps. Should I get two Mp10s or 1 mp40. The reason for the 1 mp40 is trying to keep my budget down. What do you guys think?

+1 for 2x MP40s.

However, if you're not willing to get two MP40s, better two MP10s than one MP40.

I have two MP10s in a 90 gallon mixed reef. Having two vortechs allows you to point them at each other and sync them together. I run my two in anti-sync mode on Reef Crest, which both produces a high volume of flow, but randomizes the movement and creates a collision zone that moves back and forth across the tank. It's important to have both a lot of flow and good variation that corals appreciate.

I have an MP40 in a box I haven't installed because the two MP10s are well balanced and working well for our tank. However, if I have two MP40s I would swap them out without worrying about it.

I don't think I'd use just 2 mp-10s but I like a ton of flow. I'm at about 65x turnaround rate for my tank and am thinking of ditching sand to go more.

Maybe I'm better off just saving up and going with the two mp40s or an mp40 and an mp10 my rock work is open I got the two piles look with lots of caves.

So I'm choosing to try one mp40 quiet drive for now after doing some research. They output is like 4500 gph on 100% and my tank is fully grown in so this should suffice for now. If it's not enough I'll keep one of my old power head in until I can get another one. Anyone have experience with the quiet drives yet?

It's not a question of max flow of the pump. It's a flow pattern of multiple pumps. But yeah, try one out, if it's sufficient then no need for the second one.
I have 2 MP40QD and they're much much improved over the older version. You will like how quieter they are now. Still a small whine if you listen for it but I run mine at max power.

It's not a question of max flow of the pump. It's a flow pattern of multiple pumps. But yeah, try one out, if it's sufficient then no need for the second one.
I have 2 MP40QD and they're much much improved over the older version. You will like how quieter they are now. Still a small whine if you listen for it but I run mine at max power.

Do you leave the high flow 24 hours or is reduced during night ?

I don't vary the flow power by day and night. And I don't even think the Vortech can do that(I might be wrong since I didn't look for it).
This feature is available in my Profilux controlling Tunze powerhead but I never make use of it.

Personally I don't vary the flow between day and night either. I assume the main reason behind this theory was to give the fish some "relaxation" time -- but I'm sure they can find plenty of spots behind our rock work etc to chill out where the flow is not too strong :)

Also from coral point of view, all corals in general extend their polyps the most at night time, looking for food. If you reduce the flow, there'll be less 'crap' in the water getting pulled up for them to filter feed on.

Just my pov :)

- Archit

You can set night mode on EcoTech MP40, it is time based, not light sensor based.
You push some combination of the three buttons (which I found very annoying) at the time you think it should get into night mode and it remembers it.

I asked about the night flow, because after chatting with Archit last weekend, I added a second SW8 that I had at home as backup.

The DT is 65 G and now has 2 SW8 (Jebao) working 1 full speed 24/7 and the new 90% from 8AM till midnight, then off until 8AM.

Plus the DT has the 2 factory return pumps (It's a RSM250)

The polyps comments is correct, but I was thinking that, to my knowledge, corrents in ocean are softer at night. We'll I heard it many times. Is this correct ? Or I better leave both working 24/7 ?

I will do a Google search now about night water movement in ocean.

Thanks

Last edited:
Amazing.... it is 2 AM in Florida and I am woke up in the hotel. And I am not on vacation :-(

So I open the cloud Apex software FUSION. Copy my SW8 pump program and changed it to be working 24/7 instead of stopping at night. Saved the changes in Fusion and done.

I just woke up all the guys in the tank. If I can't sleep why I will let them sleep.....JA JA JA .

Amazing that we can change/control things in our tanks from around the world using a phone, tablet or computer.

Cheers

Last edited:
That's awesome I want an apex so bad just so expensive. When I get a house and a big tank I will most certainly have one. They have a new par probe coming out which looks pretty cool.

Back