Cleaner Shrimp Eggs!!

niakon22

Reefer
hey guys one of my cleaner shrimp in my brothers tank has filled with eggs.. what is the chance of these eggs and hatching and be able to survive.. i put the shrimp in a netted cage

The chances of hatching are great :) Chances of growing them out are slim to none unless you are ready to keep greenwater soup in the house. They are not an easy starter breeding project.

They are cute when born; minature replicas of their parent:

babypepclose.jpg

babypeps.jpg

They also make good food for the tank. I siphon them out for baby seahorses etc. I'd just let them feed the rest of your tank. Again, unless you want to start rotifers, phyto, and other cultures.

Dave

Do you have two shrimps? I believe they are hermaphrodites, but in the sense that either can be female or male if it wants to be, but they can’t be both. So it could have eggs but it would need another cleaner to act as a male to get the eggs to hatch. Although, I’m not completely certain on this as I have read conflicting stories and bios on cleaner shrimps

"Again, unless you want to start rotifers, phyto, and other cultures."

I read up on this.It might be something i'll try in the future.But I must say when I read a guy's log about trying to raise these on RC,and he started with 100s and 6 made it.And this was like his 3rd try at it.Well,it took the wind out of my sails for a while.It's too bad there isn't a super food that would make them grow up really fast.From what the log said many die in the coarse of moulting.

From what the log said many die in the coarse of moulting.

Yep yep yep.. lots of things die from bad molts. My kids learned that from their land hermit crabs. I've got a blue crayfish in my office that lost its dominant claw during its last molt.

Food, water quality, etc. all assisting in gastrolith formation, makes a world of difference when it comes time to molt. There are a LOT of variables to keep in check there.

Dave

Those are some cute little shrimp! I've never seen pics of baby cleaners.

Yeah... :eek: you've pretty much got to be a "freak" and be staring into a dark tank, after lights out, with a flashlight and such...if you hope to see your baby cleaners. You can often see the adults carrying eggs and developing fry amongst their swimmerettes (the smallish fin like structures under their tail/abdomen section) until they are ready to hatch. However, when they do hatch, they quickly become consumed by the community and filration systems etc.

I used to harvest them to fee the juvenile seahorses. It made a good staging food.

Dave

Back