Coral Glue Recommendations?

UMan101

Non-member
Woke up to find 3 of my corals knocked over. Crabs were probably having a rave last night haha. Time to get some glue.

Any recommendations?

Ideally I would like something that isn't permanent in case I ever have to move corals around

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I use gel super glue and it works fine. I also use the epoxy sticks - something like http://www.marinedepot.com/Two_Litt...oxy_-Two_Little_Fishies-TL1615-FIMTEP-vi.html.

I bought some reef gel at love the reef and it worked well. Cannot recall the name.

To clarify, I glue all my corals to small rocks, then either glue or epoxy the rock to the structure. The coral will become attached to the rock and cannot be separated easily (besides breaking or cutting). Notwithstanding, even after glued or epoxyed, a slight twist of the rock will separate it from the structure it was glued too. It is strong enough to keep snails from moving them around, though. I wouldn't consider either "permanent."

Dollar Tree Super glue gel. 2 small tubes for a buck. I buy 10 packs at a time and sometimes get strange looks.

I've had good luck with the Ecotech Coral Glue. I also won a tube of RCI ( I think that's what its called) glue from a youtube reefer contest, but I have yet to try it.

I use IC gel you can get it at most LFS, i like it because it only hardens in water which is nice when I forget to close the glue tube for over a week. Also I have found that a butter knife will allow you apply enough force to most frags/plugs to get them to release from the live rock after they are placed. I have removed a number of frags using the knife trick, just make sure you dont damage any tissue.

All of the above are god suggestions. I usually use what I have on hand. Just make sure it is a "gel" type, otherwise regular superglue is to runny.

If you're only using super glue, you should be able to just "pop" the coral frag loose if you need to move it.

Thanks everyone! Really appreciate the info and suggestions. I'll be ordering one of these tonight. Hopefully, my corals can withstand a couple more days of crab parties :)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Loctice gel control in combination with the epoxy sticks. Someone on another forum posted about gluing the coral to a ball of epoxy anf then gluing that ball of epoxy to the rocks. I gave it a try and always works well for me especially in places where glue alone may not have the surface area to attack the coral

+1 on IC gel. Best general purpose superglue you can buy. The reef specific glues are just as good, but cost 2+3x as much.

Every brand of "super glue" is just cyanoacrylate. I would argue that none work better than the other by much and that is why I go with regular Dollar Tree super glue gel as mentioned above.
I've used dozens of brands, literally, and they all worked the same EXCEPT the only one that worked better (and by far, impressively) was Crystal Clear Aquatics Super Thick Reef Glue (cyanoacryclate with very little fluid) with the accelerator (alcohol).
That puppy held so tight so quick, I loved it. But was it worth 20+ times the cost compared to the dollar store stuff? NOPE!!!

Every brand of "super glue" is just cyanoacrylate. I would argue that none work better than the other by much and that is why I go with regular Dollar Tree super glue gel as mentioned above.
I've used dozens of brands, literally, and they all worked the same EXCEPT the only one that worked better (and by far, impressively) was Crystal Clear Aquatics Super Thick Reef Glue (cyanoacryclate with very little fluid) with the accelerator (alcohol).
That puppy held so tight so quick, I loved it. But was it worth 20+ times the cost compared to the dollar store stuff? NOPE!!!
agreed .
but whats the size of the super glue at the dollar store ?
I know the ic gel is about $7 at love the reef but I believe is at least 3 or 4 time bigger then a regular super glue.
just curious the size they sell at the dollar store

i use harbor freight super glue cheap and just the right size .if need be i can stick it in tank and not have to worry about wasting much .i also perfer smaller ones. i tend to waste the big bottle before i use most of it im a slob :p

IMO, not all gels are created equal. The ideal gel can be piled up high without running. I haven't tested them all, but the bsi ic gel is the best I've used.

I've been using the gel glue from our very own Boston Aqua Farms with great results for years

Back