Corals dying fast.

ffsteve

The tool man
So last week I posted one ( first pic) it was gone in a day / day and half. I have lost one a while back but I thought it was from breaking off and laying in the sand. Now today I lost my birdsnest in a single day. What could be going on.
no fish loss, chemistry is ok (noted) I have been mixing pellets and frozen lately ( no together)
Salt: 34 ppm
Cal: 391
Alk: 11.0
Mag: 1400
Nitrates: 0-5 ish
Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0
No changes except calcium up 1 point a day.
water changes weekly (45 gallons)
We did add some rock anemones but was checked and dipped.
can corals just give up and die??

Attachments

• B64E9D3C-EC70-4B76-A957-E098F2A755CD.jpeg
    B64E9D3C-EC70-4B76-A957-E098F2A755CD.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 247
  • 59767B4D-0B74-48E2-953E-E6802EE2023E.jpeg
    59767B4D-0B74-48E2-953E-E6802EE2023E.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 240
Have you had temp swings? If so what where they?

I'm kind of going through the same thing but mine are dying really slow. I came to the conclusion and same with others that my corals are starving. I have 0 nitrates and 1ppm phosphates. I am currently waiting for neonitro to dose and hopefully stop this problem. I am also waiting for carbon to come in to hopefully take out any contamination that may be in there.

Hi Steve,
First, check the temperature, if the room has no AC, temperature can be too high during the day even for several hours.

2, check the heater. Take the heater out and look inside the glass tube. If you see water droplets inside, the heater seal is broken, which can leak heavy metal into the tank.

3, check all the powerheads and the return pumps to make sure they are not leaking electricity into the water.

4. Run activated carbon immediately. If you need activated carbon, media reactor, I have them on hand,

5. Calibrate the refractometer to make sure the salinity is correct. I can check your water sample for salinity and Calibrate your Refractometer.

6. Check phosphate level, if you need a good phosphate test kit, I have it in stock too.

My sg today was tested at 1.029 . I'm pretty sure that's not too bad but mixing it with the low nitrates probably is the problem. I ran to my local lfs and grabbed a small thing of carbon to toss on until my big batch comes in. My water is very clear now and I dont remember ever seeing it this clear. I would definitely check everything dong is saying.

Definitely heat related. Tank got to 82 for three days. Daytime only. When I get home it’s back around 79 ish. Thanks for everyone’s help

This is a blessing in disguised. You don't want that Pocillopora to live. Trust me on this one.

How do you test for stray voltage? A digital multi meter?

Put the multimeter to 120v, place the black probe into the ground of the receptacle, the red probe into the water, if you get readings than there is a voltage leak somewhere. You can pin point it by unplugging equipment one piece at a time until it stops reading, that would be the culprit

Back