Corner Tank Build - 54 gallon

The River Reef

Non-member
This will be done very slowly so I hope you will follow along and help me get this setup right. I am trying not to cut any corners as this will be my main DT in my apartment.
I currently have a column style 56g running: 60lbs LR, with Flame Angel, B/W Clown, Yellow belly Damsel, Firefish, Yellow Goby (MIA), Pistol Shrimp (MIA), Skunk Cleaner, 4 Assorted Hermits, 1 Queen Conch, 2 Astrea Snails, 2 Nass Snails and a bunch of soft corals, zoas, palys, etc.. All will be transferred when this setup is ready.
I will be running my plan in Phases and will plan each Phase as I finish the previous Phase...

Phase I = Concept, Design, Initial Equipment purchasing

The idea is to have a corner tank setup that will have a sump in the stand. The tank will be drilled with corner overflow through the back panels. The sump will house the skimmer and there will be an external return pump. A ultraviolet sterilizer and media reactor will also be plumbed inline inside the stand.
The live rock will be transferred from the existing tank as well as much of the sand as possible (if easily possible?). All the current inhabitants will also be transferred with some new CUC members.

I purchased the tank and stand from a member and had it delivered. I will be getting the stand ready in the next Phase.

54g.jpg

The design is ready for the sump. A 10 gallon will just fit into the space and leave some room for other equipment. I can also stack another 10 gallon on top and run it the other length of the stand, but we will see on that. I may also add an Aquafuge small refugium that I already have for additional refugium space.

tank and sump-small.jpg

The sump is basic: Skimmer, baffles, return. I will add a short piece and screen the return off so I can possibly use that section for macro and sand.

sump-small.jpg

Stay tuned for more...

Your design looks good. The only thing I would advise against is the external pump on a 10g tank. 10g tanks are hard to drill in the first place and the external pump will most likely cause the tank to crack. Plus it is overkill. Get yourself a good submersible pump.

Eheim 1262 runs my tank and two reactors, dialed back! Quiet, efficent, and dependable. More than enough pump for an under tank sump.

And if you're going to do an internal pump, find a way to get that skimmer cup up front. If you're like me at all, unless it's easy to access, I don't tend to it nearly as frequently as I should.

another one to recommend and sub pump instead of external. Ill give you another view though. That 90 in your design to the pump intake will likely be an issue of cavitation.

A 15 gallon high tank (10''x20''x18'') has the same footprint and will give you more room for error in case of power outage, more room for water to rise without flooding the sump, more total water volume etc. Beware: these tanks are a PITA to find, they were discontinued. I just bought one today from someone and the manufacture date said 1994!!

edit: there is also the 16 gallon its an inch taller, may still be in production but a strange tank size. good luck

Your design looks good. The only thing I would advise against is the external pump on a 10g tank. 10g tanks are hard to drill in the first place and the external pump will most likely cause the tank to crack. Plus it is overkill. Get yourself a good submersible pump.

Yeah, I wasn't sure on that... I had my Mag5 in my last sump and noticed that it heated up the water. I will need quite allot of pumps running in this sump and I am worried about too much heat. I also already purchased a used external pump from another member... I'll add it to the for sale pile after the build is done! I will look into what to do for pump solution and revise. Thank you for the feedback

And if you're going to do an internal pump, find a way to get that skimmer cup up front. If you're like me at all, unless it's easy to access, I don't tend to it nearly as frequently as I should.

The skimmer is upfront, the view of just the sump is looking through the backside so that the external pump doesn't block your view. Check out the view of the entire setup, see the skimmer up front. I totally agree with you and that is why I tried to place it accordingly :)

A 15 gallon high tank (10''x20''x18'') has the same footprint and will give you more room for error in case of power outage, more room for water to rise without flooding the sump, more total water volume etc. Beware: these tanks are a PITA to find, they were discontinued. I just bought one today from someone and the manufacture date said 1994!!

edit: there is also the 16 gallon its an inch taller, may still be in production but a strange tank size. good luck

I tried to find a 15 tall, not easy! I will try a little harder now that you found one. Thanks for the heads up!

another one to recommend and sub pump instead of external. Ill give you another view though. That 90 in your design to the pump intake will likely be an issue of cavitation.

The 90 would be a pain... I was hoping it might not be needed and the pump might fit turned facing the tank. It is super close fit. The pump is probably changing so we will see where this goes, thanks.

The supples have started to arrive. I will be making a few minor adjustments to the design. Mainly using a 15 gallon tank that I have finally located. I want to try and stick to an external pump. I like the extra room in the small sump and reduction of heat. I measured and it will just fit perpendicular to the tank, so no need for the 90 bend.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1338512594.434699.jpg

This is the sound reduction mat and rubber spray that I ordered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So I am going to update the design today and tomorrow. I plan to start the build this weekend. The first task which will become "Phase: 2" will be to pre4pare the stand. I am going to line the walls and bottom with sound/ vibration reducing material.

I have started to consider building an edition to my stand. I want to have something to hide the return and drain pipes. Also, I want a structural piece to hang my light system from. I will try and convey the concept later.

Has anyone seen or know of a corner build that had a canopy/ stand all in one?

Love watching build threads.............following along.

To funny how gl**************s always sends candy with there orders :)

Phase: 2

Okay so I re-evaulated the design...
- I will be using a 15 gallon tank instead of a 10 gallon with the same length x width and more height. Picking that up this weekend, not an easy one to find. I am going to try and stick with the external pump. If it doesn't work I have a mag5 on hand and a spare 10 gallon for back up plan.
- I also knew I needed something to hang my light from. In an apartment, do not want to screw anything in walls or ceiling if can be avoided. I also do not want to see my drain and returns coming out of my un-tempered back panels. So the new solution is a wooden addition to my stand...

Phase 2: Prepare the stand...

I will build this and attach it to the back corner of the stand. The frame will be 2 x 2 enclosed and then all painted black. It will: hide the plumbing, allow the tank to sit off the corner of the wall and look like it is against it, create a way to hang my DIY light that will come soon, run the wires for the light, close the back openings to further reduce noise.
The wooden picture is to help see the items in the assembly, it will be painted.

Stand Exploded.JPG Stand wireframe.jpg
Stand addition Assy.JPG Tank Assy.JPG Stand assembled.jpg

I priced it out and will cost me around $35 - $40 to complete. I think it will add something useful and unique and keep the setup organized looking. I will get into the rest of the plan as it unfolds. The stand is the task at hand. Above you see the sound dampening materials I bought. I will also be doing my best to try and reduce as much sound as possible inside the stand!

looking really good, i'm sure this is going to come out great given how much thought you're putting into it

the only thing i might suggest is a lip coming down from the front of the overhang you're attaching the lights to, just to keep from being blinded every time you look at the tank. not sure what your light fixture is gonna be like, so maybe disregard that.

I used the glass-holes overflow on my 72 bowfront tank, and to be honest i really didnt like it. You may find it works for you but it just made too much noise for my liking. Its noise of water falling in the box, and air noise in the plumbing itself. Hope you have better luck, i do think it looks better than the standard overflows that take up alot of the tank space. Also i got my 15 gallon sump in it fit perfect. If you would like i can post some pics of my tank and setup for you. Or i can just pm you let me know.

I used the glass-holes overflow on my 72 bowfront tank, and to be honest i really didnt like it. You may find it works for you but it just made too much noise for my liking. Its noise of water falling in the box, and air noise in the plumbing itself. Hope you have better luck, i do think it looks better than the standard overflows that take up alot of the tank space. Also i got my 15 gallon sump in it fit perfect. If you would like i can post some pics of my tank and setup for you. Or i can just pm you let me know.

I have a glass holes overflow. To get rid of the noise I replaced the bulkhead with a slip/slip variety. I had to cut it down some so it would fit in the overflow and get the nut on. I then made a reverse durso out of a tee with a end plug on the top with a 1/4" hole for the tubing. It's quiet now where it's not sucking so much air. That set up with the black threaded elbows is for the birds. If you use the elbow as a wrench to tighten the nut sometimes the cheapo bulkhead will crack as it did with me. There no real way to tighten the nut in the overflow except to use black elbow or the durso I made as a wrench of sort.

Attachments

• durso.jpg
    durso.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 2,600
Last edited:
Ive been looking to build a canopy for my 54 gallon tank because i cant seem to find one for sale around here so i figured id share it with you, albeit your going another route though. I never really wanted one before, but i have a few reasons for wanting one now: i want to be able to keep some of the cool wrasse that are notororious jumpers, i want to hid all my lighting, and i want to prevent light from escaping (at night it is especially annoying)

Heres a simple build, it doesnt go into much detail but there isnt much out there for builds on these canopies. http://www.reefland.com/forum/diy/22894-54-corner-canopy-build-totw-11-25-07-a.html

also heres another cool 54 corner build with tons of DIY stuff, i really like the overflow he did, but the blue theme is ugly as all hell. came across all this when looking up build info. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2025924

Last edited:

I only purchased the bulkheads and glass cutters from them. The overflow I was going to make myself with a piece of acrylic. I plan to section off the whole back corner. I will post details when I get it laid out in more detail. Are the bulkheads okay?

Back