Dan's 8' 130 gallon Build

Painted the back of the tank with plasti dip. It came out well. Haven't made too much progress been super busy at work and I'm in the middle of tileing my mothers floor. Plus it was tuff to paint that tank. The plasti dip stuff smells pretty strong and I have a 5 and 3 year old. So I had to work it so I could spray and let my house air out while they weren't around. Which needless to say it wasn't easy to do. Very limited windows of time lol

So you put a new glass panel in that tank and reseal ed it BEFORE you drilled the panel. I would drilled it first just in case.

Nice work on the stand. I was not impressed with the stand in the beginning of the thread but now you transformed it into something else, almost too good for the tank. Speaking of the tank, is it 130 G or 300 G? I read somewhere in the thread that someone offered you a free 300 G tank?

Thanks it's all still a work in progress I just ruffed the returns. Don't want to glue it yet with the kids around. The tank is a 130. I got it from the guy that has the 300. I wish I had the 300 haha. I'm already getting a ton of ******** from my fiancé about this one.

I Finished up all of my plumbing. I bent up some acrylic to make a bubble trap and give myself a skimmer section. Getting those baffles to stay while I siliconed them was not an easy task. I ended up doing them one at a time. It's not my best work but whatever it's just in my sump.

I bent the baffles to try and create a little ramp for my water to flow down we will see how it works. My old sump that I built I didn't slope them and it created a waterfall effect which was pretty annoying to listen too.

There's a decent size closet in this room. My water heater was actually in it but I moved my water heater to my basement so I could use the closet. I installed my rodi in there tonight. My water entering it is in the 160 TDS range and it's 0 TDS coming out of it. Getting closer and closer to filling it.

I have 130 lbs of rock in there now and I have another 30 in a separate tank that I'm going to use to seed the 130.

I ordered up 170lbs of sand from Marco rocks last night I don't know how long it will take to get out here but once it arrives I will be filling it up.

The build looks great. Its nice to see how its progressing. What are your plans, on the inside? Reef ? fish only etc?

Well I have always been fish only. I have tried a couple corals over the years and never had success. I have never owned an RODI. I have always just used conditioned tap water. From what I am told that is more than likely why I have had troubles keeping them. My main goal is to try and keep coral in this tank.

Nice build. Something you may want to consider is moving your outlet box. Over time you may get salt creep/spray on your back wall that could cause a short.

Back