dinoflagellates Control

sumant19

BRS Member
Having some Dino outbreak since last 5 days or so.. trying to siphon as much as I can but it keeps coming back.. I know it could be a long battle..the water parameters are stable.

last time dosing phyto helped control the outbreak.. that was probably 10 months back. The tank itself is running for 14 months so still in the “ new tank” phase...

anyone had any luck battling Dinos using an UV sterilizer?

on the other note- do Dino’s contain any toxins? Couple of times I felt weird after siphoning .. little bit of headache and loss of taste..

thanks
Sumant

Typically a 72 hours blackout period kills them. I doubt that UV would be of much use, since only organisms that pass through the UV chamber are effected.

Are they toxic? Ever hear of red tide?

There’s a lot of threads on us killing Dino’s over on r2r using UV’s.
ive never battled them but I’ve also heard hydrogen peroxide will also help kill them but please research dosing for it before using.

It depends on the type but I battled them a couple years ago and my number one reason for success was running a UV right out the display tank.
For me blackouts were just a misleading tease. You’ll get excited but they will always come back.

I had em bad for a while what worked for me:
36 hr blackout with UV running, overfeed before and after to get n & p up
then dose dr tims refresh according to the system on BRS
then follow the system with waste away
while dosing dr. tims only use skimmer for a few hours per day

keep nutreints up for a month or 2 and then deal with whatever algae pops up

ngl battling them is a pain and the tank looks ugly for a month or two

I just had a quick battle with them myself. My system is 0 nitrates 0 phosphates I started dosing both and they went away. Dynos are difficult because it depends which type they are. Can be much easier to battle if a positive identification can be shared.

I battled Dino’s awhile ago and was able to beat them with a UV. But your best bet is to get a microscope Even a 10 dollar kids one on amazon will work And post pic so people can ID because different strains have different ways of going about beating them .

I fought dinos for over 6 months, blackouts, uv, no water changes to raise no3 and po4. Nothing worked, then I started pyto dosing daily and tank is doing great. Pytoplankton is pretty easy to grow so I now dose to all 4 of my tanks daily.

I fought dinos for over 6 months, blackouts, uv, no water changes to raise no3 and po4. Nothing worked, then I started pyto dosing daily and tank is doing great. Pytoplankton is pretty easy to grow so I now dose to all 4 of my tanks daily.
Yeah.. that’s what I did last time.. and started doing it again.. I lost my phyto culture due to neglect because of work getting little crazy.. but the new culture is getting darker every day so hopefully will be ready in couple of days

Below is what I had posted on the other thread:

After trying several methods, I am now trying DINO X by Fauna Marin. This stuff works! I am not 100% sure of all the side effects yet but all of Dino in my tank has disappeared after the 4th treatment. In fact, I had forgotten to take out carbon from my tank for the first 2 treatments. I am on the 6th treatment now and plan to do 10 treatments as suggested by Fauna Marin.

All fish and corals seems to be doing okay. Some corals like Duncan is not opening up over the last couple of days. Fauna Marin claims that corals will be fine after you do a major water change at the end of the treatment. My alkalinity consumption and calcium consumption has steadily dropped which probably means that the corals are not growing and waiting for a change in the environment. I have Trident and it has become very easy to monitor the CA/Alk consumption on daily basis now. Most of the corals don't show any signs of stress and I am hoping that those that are will come back after the treatment and after I do significant water change over a few days. I am very happy with this product as I would have never been able to get rid of dyno especially that was all over the corals. Changing sand might have reduced the population but I wouldn't have been able to get rid of it on the rocks, other gaps and crevices and especially on the corals. The sand looks nice and white now and I could clearly see the areas on the corals that dyno had taken over.

DINO X is available on BRS. . .
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/fauna-marin-ultra-algea-x.html

You can read the reviews and decide. There is more info available on https://www.faunamarin.de/en/dino-x-remove-any-hairy-or-plague-type-algae/a-200040/

Good luck!

It depends on the type but I battled them a couple years ago and my number one reason for success was running a UV right out the display tank.
For me blackouts were just a misleading tease. You’ll get excited but they will always come back.
What UV sterilizer did you use? And what’s the size of your aquarium? Thanks!

What UV sterilizer did you use? And what’s the size of your aquarium? Thanks!
When I got them it was my old system which was 130 gallons total water volume. I ran an aqua UV 25 watt out of the display to treat.

I had the Ostreopsis strand like a year and a half ago. UV and raising po4 and no3 did the trick. I dosed potassium nitrate and neo phos. I used a pentair 18 watt on a 100 gal system. I had a mean green cyano out break shortly after. That was even worst. Had to buy some more pods and some more bacteria. After a 4 month battle I crossed my fingers and used chemiclean. I’m sitting pretty now. Good luck!

Back