Disappearing Harlequin

mvallee

Non-member
Bought a Harlequin shrimp on Sunday, acclimated and placed in the quiet side of my tank. I watched it for maybe 20 minutes all seemed well he was just kind of poking around at the sand moving maybe 10" total in the time I was watching. I went to get a drink and came back to my Lawnmower Blenny sitting in the rocks right next to where the shrimp was and I have not seen the shrimp since.

I have a couple things that I could suspect but nothing was in the area, anyone think I have reason to suspect my Lawnmower Blenny of eating this new addition?

I am hoping the Harlequin is just hiding, I guess if I see the stupid asterina star population going down I will know but I don't have a good feeling on seeing that $50 shrimp again.

4S3A6429.jpg

I bought one a month or so ago and I did the same, acclimated, watched it, then, boom it was gone.hope it is hiding and reappears but not holding my breath

I think the asterina's are mocking me tonight, I stopped counting when I hit 100 on my front glass, I know I could scrape them off but I want to make sure the Harlequin is not in there anymore. They are usually like this in the morning not at night. I just replaced the T-5's with LED and guessing the different light maybe has them coming out?????? I really need to get them under control and yes I have been finding them on everything corals, Zoas merulina although no real damage noted yet they are definitely aggravating the zoa's

Maybe getting use to its new enviroment, I bought 3 peppermint shrimp and I know there's no comparison to the harlequin but they did the same, poked around and poof they are gone, got up one night//morning maybe 3ish and flash a flash light in the tank and bingo, there they were scavenging around the rock work. Your tank is a different enviroment at night when the lights are off, and depending on how established your tank is, there is different life running around at night.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

You do have a big tank it can be anywhere in you tank. I had a pair in a 9 gallon with about 12 lbs of rock with tons of holes that they could hide and some times I wouldn't see them for a few days to a week. But they would come out when they was hungry or when I tossed in a star leg for them.

11 days MIA and this morning scanning my tank with a flashlight I spotted the little bugger, hopefully now that I know where he is hanging out I will see it more often, of course I started manually eradicating the asterina's I probably pulled 100 or more between last weekend and this weekend but there are still hundreds all over the back and sides.

Taken with my P&S and a flashlight this morning for proof to the wife, she was not happy when she thought the $50 shrimp "I had to have" lasted less than 30 minutes in my tank.

DSCF5617-2.jpg

Glad he is still among the living. See, your mistake was telling the wife you spent $50 on a shrimp. That is a little tidbit of info both of you would prefer she didn't know.

Back