diy sump and skimmer advice

kinder23

Non-member
hi all i was looking for some advice on my diy sump and skimmer so i have researched it alot and i have a 150 gal tank im setting up i made a countercurrent air driven skimmer 5' high out of 6" pvc i have a 140 gph sump pump my plan was to have an overflow box on my main tank into the first chamber of my sump in that first chamber i will have the sump pump pump water into my skimmer and outlet of skimmer goes back to the same chamber then i want chamber 2 to be a refugium followd by a bubble trap consisting of 3 baffles then chamber 3 will be another sump pump as my return question1 = how high should i keep my skimmer filled?question2=how do i determine my baffle height the sump its a 30 gal tank?question3=will the way i pipped the skimmer work?

#1 High enough so that it can collect in the skimmer cup.
#2 Baffle height is usually determined by skimmer needs.Not a concern for you with the CC. But generally between 6-10" high.
#3 Yes but don't drain the return back into the same chamber as it pulling from.
My turn for a question. Are they sump pumps or just a term your using?

So they made for sumps?Reason I'm asking sump pumps are not a good chioce for marine tanks...bad ju-ju.

understandable maybe i should switch to somthing else is the reasoning because they arent reliable or? also thanks for the advice much appreciated

The term sump pump brings to light visions of home depot pumps for a flooded basement.And those types of pumps have metal parts no good for saltwater.Use the term return pump or even supply pump so you don't scare people..............lol

The confusion comes from the fact that little giant also make pumps for aquariums.Did a google and sure enough they make sump pumps.Don't use em for exactly the reason sumpmonkey said.They are NOT made for continuous use and will corrode,brake down,leach unwanted's,are energy hogs,etc.Many other great,safe,economical choices.

Back