Don’t know what’s happening

bettez8789

BRS Member
Does anyone know what is happening to my coral nothing has changed in the tank

Attachments

• IMG_2340.jpeg
    IMG_2340.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 96
Is that a Hollywood Stunner Chalice? How are the other coral doing? What kind of light are you using? What is your salinity?

I just checked the salinity it was 1.028 close to 1.030 I’m slowly lowing it and I believe it is a chalice of some sort

I don’t have a alk checker
Until you buy an alkalinity test, expect to have a hard time keeping things with a skeleton. Doing frequent water changes with a good salt will probably help you keep alk in a decent range, but stability is key for anything with a skeleton and getting a decent test kit is the first step towards that.

What are you using to test salinity? Some methods are more reliable than others, and you want to be sure that your test is accurate if you're lowering salinity.

See if they have anything like this at your LFS

I've the same refractometer. I calibrate it before every use with the calibration solution at 35ppt. A few days ago I checked RO/DI water, it was about 5ppt below the 0 in the scale. That tells me the instrument isn't accurate in whole range of the scale. As long as I stay close to the calibrated 35ppt should be fine.
I remember years ago when I bought the calibration solution people were saying in the reviews that was just expensive water and to just use distilled water for calibration. I don't regret buying it at all! I use it all the time and it's still half or more in the bottle.

Totally agree. Temp, Salinity, Alk, water motion and light are the biggest concerns

Salifert makes a good cheap Alk test. Like $0.10 and 5 mins per test

Back