Drain pipe (lower/higher)?

MichaelJ

Reefer
BRS Member
My drain pipe in the bulk head can be moved up and down, If I move it all the way down the sump fills up condiderably, if I move it up almost all the way the tank fills up to the rim. Question is : What position is best for the drain pipe? All the way down or up as high as it can go to keep the tank full as possible?

Michael

Question is : What position is best for the drain pipe? All the way down or up as high as it can go to keep the tank full as possible?

Michael,

The true answer is "somewhere in the middle". This is what I did:

oflow1.jpg

The elbow and strainer can be positioned at any angle to fit the needs of the flow and the return pump. Simply adjust and watch the water level in the display. If it is still too high, lower it a bit. If it is too high, raise it a bit. Once you find the "happy medium" in the display, then check the sump level. Find your optimal level in the sump (to accomodate overflow in case of pump failure) and mark that level on the sump.

Make sense?

Dave

Thanks

Yeah it makes sense.... Just wanted to make sure I wasn't setting myself up for a problem...

thanks

Michael

Just some things to consider regarding the "optimal level" point that David brought up.

1) if your overflow/drain pipe was to clog so that no water was running to the sump, how much water would be pumped to the tank before your return pump runs dry? Probably a good idea to set your tank level so that there is enough space to empty your sump to the pump intake level.

2) if your return line clogged or your return pump failed how much water would drain into the sump? Might be a good idea to adjust your drain position so it doesn't drain more water into the sump than it can handle. Also take measures to limit the amount of water that siphons back through the return line.

Just some things to consider regarding the "optimal level" point that David brought up.

1) if your overflow/drain pipe was to clog so that no water was running to the sump, how much water would be pumped to the tank before your return pump runs dry? Probably a good idea to set your tank level so that there is enough space to empty your sump to the pump intake level.

2) if your return line clogged or your return pump failed how much water would drain into the sump? Might be a good idea to adjust your drain position so it doesn't drain more water into the sump than it can handle. Also take measures to limit the amount of water that siphons back through the return line.

so how do you prevent your pump from running dry? I am guessing you would use some sort of switch, please ellaborate, refernces to examples would be great

thanks

so how do you prevent your pump from running dry? I am guessing you would use some sort of switch, please ellaborate, refernces to examples would be great

thanks

Most people probably just take their chances :) The chance of your overflow clogging completely to the point where absolutely no water is getting to the sump is probably pretty slim. Most people's setup usually will keep the pump wet even if its not moving any water back to the tank so it should stay relatively cool (at least cool enough to prevent burnout long enough for the reefer to notice the problem). Most pumps, once the intake line is about 1/4 to 1/3 exposed, will start sucking air to the point where they cant move water up the return line. But there is still quite a bit of water in there so you get that cyclical wet sucking sound. Most pumps will get hot in that situation but not hot enough for any permanent damage. Some will shut down if they over heat without any real serious damage. Some will just die completely. Most pumps (the ones you'll get at 90% of LFS and online anyway) wont do any damage to the tank when they die they just damage your wallet.

If you really want to keep the pump from running dry you could tie a float switch into the pump so that if the sump level dropped below a certain level the circuit would break and the pump would shut down. A typical ATO device could be used for that.

Describing switch setups in forums is kinda tough without diagrams and such.
Are you coming to the meeting at the end of the month?

Speaking of pumps, mine is a ehiem 1250 that runs at 320gph on a 75g. I'm getting the feeling that I need the next one up witch runs at 634gph? My return goes straight to the tank with no 45's or 90's attached to the pipe and is roughly 30''. I'm just not getting a good flow from the current pump. (I don't think I am anyways.)

Are the meetings always on the weekends?
Wondering because I work weekends.

Michael....

Last edited:
Back