drilling acrylic help needed

skyedolphan

Non-member
OK on the last stages of the 240 I have gotten in sanded ,buffed,and polished to the best of my experience and ability

HUGE KUDOS to Gustavo no clue how he deals with this stuff daily :eek:

siting inside a 4x4 box for 3 days sanding and buffing was not fun never mind that I Learnt first hand that acrylic is an insulator/conductor whatever, very scared about the water going in there as the temp with no water in there S**KS it was 93 * in the tank and only 75 in the house between the 1 light on it for me to see what I was doing and some sunlight that streamed in..

But anyway I need 5 holes drilled Sam wants to try it I am scared silly all I see is an emergency phone call of needing a 4x4 sheet of acrylic being replaced ..
I want/need this tank done this weekend or sooner as with the weather and weeks/months of a closed system is taking its toll on my inhabitants

anyone close by have experiance and time to help out ?

It's really easy. What I did was first drilled the hole through plywood and then clamped the plywood to the acrylic.

Then, go for it. Just remember, it can take quite awhile to go thru the acrylic. The drill bit gets very hot so I always have a glass of water to periodically dunk the bit into to cool off. Also, I also try to keep the surface slightly wet by dripping water into the site.

Forstner drill bits are perfect for drilling large holes in acrylic.

I like to cut until the pilot tip breaks through the other side of the acrylic then drill form the other side for a perfect hole every time. But do not let this bit get away from you go slow.

FWIW, I've used both Lenox hole saws and diamond hole saws for drilling acrylic. Out of the two I prefer the diamond hole saws.

You have to be REALLY patient using diamond hole saws in acrylic, and make sure you keep them wet and constantly monitor for build up, but they sure leave a nice clean hole....

A router with a flush trim bit and plywood template leaves a very clean hole and is pretty fast. Use carpet tape to hold the template down.

thanks everyone I guess we are going to attemp it today when Sam gets outta work as I need this thing done :(

Dave that is exaxtly what Gustavo said to do

still having nightmares so I want it done at least the nighmares will stop and I will have an answer if I have to start making phone calls for a 4x4 sheet ;)

I have decided I will NEVER do this again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oH No next time call , order,have delivered and installed then just deal with the fun part of putting things in it :)

OK on the last stages of the 240 I have gotten in sanded ,buffed,and polished to the best of my experience and ability

HUGE KUDOS to Gustavo no clue how he deals with this stuff daily :eek:

I've seen how he does it firsthand. Beer, lots and lots of beer. :D KEGS of beer. :eek: And his kind assistant, Mr. Jack Daniels, for the hard projects......

Good luck with the holes and the new tank. :)

Back