Durso drain size?

Nukebahb

Non-member
I’m currently in the process of designing and acquiring all of the equipment for my new Marineland 220g build. One question I’m currently stuck at is, what size pipe I should use connecting the bulkhead to my sump? I already have the prefabbed Durso pipe and 1” bulkheads that came with the tank. The plumbing will go into a bubble trap in my sump.

I think it never hurts to plus-size the standpipe in your overflow and the drain pipe on the other side of the bulkhead.

I have a 1" bulkhead on my main drain, but the drain pipe on it is 1.5" or otherwise with a reducer down to 1" right at the bulkhead.

I think it never hurts to plus-size the standpipe in your overflow and the drain pipe on the other side of the bulkhead.

I have a 1" bulkhead on my main drain, but the drain pipe on it is 1.5" or otherwise with a reducer down to 1" right at the bulkhead.

Thanks for your response
That is what I was originally planning on, but I noticed a number of people online using the same size pipe as the bulkhead.

The original "duroso" plans say to use 1.25" pipe with the stock 1" bulkheads. Going with the biggest pipe you can fit helps to reduce turbulence which will help noticeably with noise and slightly with actual flow potential.
http://www.dursostandpipes.com/make-your-own-durso-standpipe

Or you can go with a siphon drain system (Bean or herbie) and get more than double the possible flow rate with none of the noise or bubbles and sticking with the regular 1" pipe. Just sayin :)

Back