Durso Pipe Craziness

alex1977

Non-member
Hi All -

I got a new tank and I am trying to figure out this Durso pipe, and I just can't seem to get it. Unless I set the flow rate REALLY low (left picture), it makes an incredible amount of noise. It seems that in order to not make noise, the water has to come in from the holes on the pipe itself, rather than the intake. Any pointers as to what could be wrong with it or with what I'm doing?

Attachments

• IMAG1324.jpg
    IMAG1324.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 597
  • IMAG1326.jpg
    IMAG1326.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 1,223
I had the same problem.
The noise you hear is it like a waterfall or other?
if waterfall than the pipe is too low.
if your answer is other than you need a reverse Durso in your sump.
Lastly you can modify the durso pipe with a different controller called a herbie.
I didn't need to do that cause since I made my reverse durso it was quieted enough for me.

I don't understand why they put those holes in the sides, they are totally un-necessary and may well hinder the proper operation of the duroso. Personally I have always DIY'd durosos from regular plumbing parts....

FWIW to do a herbie style drain you need to use two holes, one for the drain and one for a back up.

It's like a gurgling noise, from water getting sucked into those tiny holes. I'll look into those options, thanks!

once you go BEAN, you never go back...or something like that. Silent drain, 1100GPH

When I was getting my stuff set up I had a lot of noise also. I have dual megaflow overflows. One was very quiet, almost deal silent. The other was like Niagra Falls. To fix the problem I did a couple different things:

1) Originally my plumbing to the sump in the basement went down and through the wall/floor about 4-5ft, across the ceiling about 5ft, and then straight down to the sump about 8-9ft. I took apart the plumbing and made it angle/slope more to reduce the speed of the water flowing through the pipes.
2) I cut the hole in my drywall down a little more to let the drains right at the tank slope a bit more gently
3) I added reverse-dursos to each of the drains down at the sump

I think #'s 1 and 3 are what really reduced the noise level for me. Both overflows appear to be working at decent levels now.

The other night I raised my drain standpipes up a little more to reduce the water-fall sound just a bit more.

Is there a thread for changing a Megaflow like this to a BEAN? Thinking of doing the same...

You need 3 holes to do a bean drain. If you have dual megaflows you can do it;

Overflow box A
3/4" hole for the sihpion drain
1" hole for the open channel
Overflow Box B (the overflow can be filled with sand to avoid having stagnent water)
3/4" hole for the return
1" hole for the dry emergency

And then run a second return line over the top if a single 3/4" is not enough.

You can do a herbie drain in a single megaflow, to do that you use the 3/4" hole for the siphon drain, and the 1" for the back up. Then you need to go over the top (or drill another hole somewhere) for the return.

the flood-prone can't have Herbies...which was why John made me get a BEAN :p

:D

So if you want a quick fix, put a sponge around the holes of durso... I had same problem, the quick fix is this: take a 4-6" sponge, cut a hole in the middle and wrap it around the 3 holes in durso... noise eliminated....

Just FROM MY OWN EXPERIENCE... been running that for 4 yrs, the only slight noise I have is from the MP40

Hi All -

I got a new tank and I am trying to figure out this Durso pipe, and I just can't seem to get it. Unless I set the flow rate REALLY low (left picture), it makes an incredible amount of noise. It seems that in order to not make noise, the water has to come in from the holes on the pipe itself, rather than the intake. Any pointers as to what could be wrong with it or with what I'm doing?

the water is supposed to be in the middle of the horizontal part of the Durso. The Durso is a controlled siphon, Much like taking a 2 liter bottle and cutting the bottom off it, then turn the bottle upside down and fill with water and let it drain. It will flow steady if the pressure on the flow is steady. That is where the cap with the hole on the Durso comes in. The hole is what controls the controls pressure/siphon. This is where the mega flow design is totally wrong with the holes in the side of the Tee part of the stand pipe. Also that stand pipe will never be quite as it is 3-4" below the overflow teeth. Doesn't matter what system you use if the water is falling 3" it will be loud & the more water flow the louder.

A picture of the entire plumbing setup is the only real way to problem solve it.

John if you use a uniseal you can actually use a 1" pipe through the return hole in a megaflow setup

Last edited:
John if you use a uniseal you can actually use a 1" pipe through the return hole in a megaflow setup

That's a really good idea I never thought of. That said, you can still flow a heck of a lot of water through a 3/4" siphion drain
:)

lower the pipe. the water level is too low thats why

That is not correct if it is a properly functioning Durso stand pipe the vent hole on the top controls the height. If the water level is low then the hole is too small, as the smaller the hole the greater the siphon and vis versus. The bigger the hole the slow the siphon. Once you make the hole too big it is a non functioning standpipe.

Much like the bean the only sound you should hear from a Durso if the stand is proper height is it drawing air. If you hear a waterfall then it is too short or you have a way too much water for the overflow you are running. If he lowers that stand pipe it will be a 5" drop nothing will keep it quiet.

Personally I would make sure to clear the top hole, then block the side holes. Lastly I would raise it so the top of the horizontal part is is at least 1"from the bottom of the over flow teeth. Then you can adjust up if it is still too loud. The same effect of making the hole small is achieved by passing more water through it.

Last edited:
I wanted to thank you all - turns out sealing ONE of the 3 holes did the trick! Thank you for the advise, MUCH appreciated!

I have the same MegaFlo in my 90 gallon.And it's very quiet.
Judging from the picture the MegaFlo pipe needs to be telescoped longer.
Probably like an inch inch and a half taller.
This will make the water fall noise disappear.
I also put a piece of heat resistent phenalic plastic over the whole overflow.This keeps critters out and also helps with algae growing in there.

Back