Durso drain help

mike030987

Non-member
So I finally got around to getting my 72 rr bow set up. Thing is it still seems to be a tad loud still for my liking. For two days now I've been trying to read and find a solution but can't either find a definitive way or find one I care to choose ha. It is a standard durso megaflow kit. Not looking to have my return over the back so I can't do a bean style. Just looking to improve this one. I've read changing the durso to a stockman. Or creating a larger vent hole in the top. To adding airline tubing with a ball valve to adjust airflow through the top. Like I said not sure what to try and any advice, or even a thread that could send me in the right direction to start off would be great. TIA

I had a noise issue with my drains. My sump is in the basement and my drains would build up water pressure...then "flush" with the release of the pressure. It was very loud. I cut back my drain lines so that they were no longer underwater. That reduced back pressure and quieted the drains in the display tank. It was a very simple fix. However the drain in the basement is much louder because the water splashes more. I can reduce the splashing by using a filter sock but I don't like using them 24/7. I use a small plastic bin with holes drilled in the sides and bottom filled with LR rubble to contain the splashing. If your sump is under the tank that may or may not help you.

Yea my sump is under my tank. It is a proflex 2 and the drain pipe has to be submerged as it is the design of the sump. Thing is its not really flushing it's just loud waterfall type noise mainly from the overflow itself. Only every joe and them(every 10 mins maybe) it seems to "flush". Fwiw I have a mag 7 as a return.

You know,the drain tube in the Megaflow telescopes up and down?
If you pull up on it or take it out and extend the length.
The waterfall sound will go away as the water wont fall so far over the overflow wall.
Mine is quite silent.

Like this:

Attachments

• megaflow.jpg
    megaflow.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 156
I actually had a much more noticeable noise until I did that last night. Just still some there. I mean I've read some people can get them almost dead silent and was trying to get it there.

So I should leave it alone and not try any of the things I've read? Along the lines of the airline tubing or making the sir hole larger

I wouldn't do anything that can't be returned back to the original config.
Mine falls about 11 ft. down to a basement sump.So I'm not sure if that extra pvc that it flows through helps with the sound.

See my build thread for similar issues. Like Bob (stingy) my sump was in the basement, so a little different than your setup.

Things I did:

- Adjust standpipe as discussed
- Adjusted drain lines so they were slightly angled and not straight up and down
- Added reverse dursos in the sump to relieve air pressure
- Wait ... the plumbing will eventually develop a coating inside which will help quiet things down

As mentioned, try everything else BEFORE you make permanent changes to the overflow kits; otherwise you'll be rebuilding them or buying new ones if something doesn't work out.

I had this same issue with my 72G bow. I bought a Mega Flow drain and never heard a "peep" since! :p Very well spent $35...

I fiddled around with it some, seems quieter now. Moved some plumbing underneath around and readjusted the height again. It's def not silent but it will do for the time being. I'll have to look into creating a reverse durso on the sump but for now I'll let it run and cycle to get things going. Thanks for all the info.

Back