Electrical Question. Can double 250W MH Fixture be used on 15amp breaker ?

uhupong

BRS Member
My tank has center bar in the middle which prevent my single 250 MH bulb to shine down at it maximum capacity.My interim solution before my near future upgrade to a larger aquarium (plan is still up in the air) is to upgrade my lighting system to a stronger one, the 2 bulbs 250 Watts MH system.

However a few times in the past, we had tripped the breaker by plugging in Iron or vacuum cleaner while the light was on. I was confused as they were plugged into different outlet than the one MH was plugged in.

I have very little electrical knowledge and would like to seek advise, if I could use double bulbs 250Watts MH system in my apartment? I have looked at the breaker box and see that the outlet that MH is plugged in has 15amp (assume number 15 represent amp ?).

If this doesn't work out, my only option is to go with LED system which I assume that it is more electrical breaker friendly than MH.

Thank you in advance for all opinions/suggestions.
Pong

P.S. Please pardon me if any of the above don't make sense in term of electrical terminology.

2.1 A and I believe that one breaker goes to 2 outlets but I can't say for sure.

You should be fine. Stuff like vacuums draw a lot of Amps so as long as you have a plug for that on a separate breaker you will be good. Some vacuums are 12-15 amps alone.

That's explain. I was confused (actually still am) about the whole Watts and Amps. I have to go see if my Iron pull lots of Amps or not, I bet it does coz it poped my breaker once already.

Thanks all for the advises. Back to focus on MH VS LED again. :)

Its an apartment so i am not saying to go replacing circuits or breakers, but i am of the opinion that 15 amp branch circuits on 100 amp service panels is something dates back to when clock radios and maybe 1 TV was the norm. With all of the fancy gadgets, big screen TVs in multiple rooms of the house, window ACs being affordable and normal to most, hometheater receivers being in the 700 to 1000 watt range, etc, that 100 amp service and 15 amp branches is not enough. Its not just a matter of upgrading wire and the breaker, you need to make sure not to over-subscribe the main. I know this was a lot more than you asked, just stating my 2 cents, especially since you mentioned upgrading to a larger tank. At that point you are dealing with more lighting, more powerheads (not much current, but still), sump pumps, reactor pumps (if you use them), bigger heaters, etc. Every little bit counts.

A lot of appartments are wired so that they have a lot of outlets running off a single breaker. One way to find out is to plug something small into every outlet and throw the breaker to see how many things turn off and therefore are controlled by that single breaker. You might find out that a lot of your place is wired together. WoodRiver is correct that Vacuums and Hairdryers draw a lot of amps, and this can be a problem in appartments that are poorly wired.

Thank you very much for all useful information. Power consumption is indeed play a major role in my decision whether should I upgrade the tank or not.

Thanks again

Just go for the LEDs, you know you want to... I had second guessed the switch AFTER I built my light. After I got a couple corals in I am SO glad I made the switch! The hammer and Zoas I have in there now seem to love it! I was worried about them but they opened up within minutes of going in the tank and have been wide open since.

Back