Electrical Box location question.

ebattistoni

Non-member
I have an outlet smack in the middle of the area where I have my tank. I have it centered which means the stand will over lap the outlet. FYI I have it on a 15amp GFCI

I am planning a new stand and even then I can't get around not covering the outlet. My question: can I butt the stand up against the wall and incorporate the outlet underneath? It would hide the power strips. With weather proof outlet boxes? I'm clearly not an electrician but I know Water and electricity don't mix so I am not sure this is a good idea.

Option 2 is keep it the way it is. Whatever is the better option will help me determine the dimensions and if I also will need to adjust my light which is hanging. I stupidly centered it 12 inches from the wall because i am hoping for a 120. So if I can do the stand flush against the way or out an inch or two I'm good. If not I will be adjusting things.

Here is a pic. Any insight or suggestions would be helpful. I bought the lumber today. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433042905.130720.jpg

Here is a pic of my current stand I made. It matches my center Island. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433042989.913552.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1433043015.680277.jpg

Here is the light fixture holder I did.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433043062.880831.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The tank is on a gfi. If you don't have wires dangling in the sump etc.. You should be ok with the outlet in the stand. If something was to happen the gfi will trip.

I would not have any of my electrical on ground, thats the first place water ends up if anything happens. I have an electrical outlet directly behind my open stand/sump area. Has not been a problem yet i have all power strips mounted over the ground/sump.
Something i did with the setup of my new tank was pull it out a couple inches from the wall i regretted not doing this the first time, makes maitence lot easier.

O forgot to mention awesome job on that stand and shelve for the lights been thinking of going topless and hanging lights but gf disapproved previously, she might like this

I had the same issue. I ended up ditching the GFCI, and installed a GFCI breaker. This is the only outlet on the circuit. Then I ended up installing a recessed receptacle, they are more ($9), but it recesses the plug so they won't be tight against the back of the stand

Good Luck
Derek

Thanks Owen386 :) the shelf is hollow. To make it look thick but not be so heavy. I put blocking in the center for the light hangers. I made it out of 1x. The Corbells I cut out of a 1x12 with my scroll saw. There are a lot of nice patterns for them online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back