Emergency..... Help!!!!!!!!!!

Bobbofin

Non-member
I was working on my aquarium and saw a drip of water on the 3/4" ABS bulkhead for the return line. I inspected it and found a crack in the side. I HATE SCHEDULE 40 ABS BULKHEADS! If I was drilling a tank myself I'd only use schedule 80. I put PVC glue on the threads inside the bulkhead and on the threaded PVC fitting, screwed it back in and it's drying now. Gonna wait an hour. I also put plumbers putty all around it. It should hold. Does anyone know where I can get a 3/4" bulkhead fitting locally ASAP? Preferably slip/slip so I can glue in pvc and avoid screwing PVC threaded fittings in cheap ABS bulkheads. I know Jay's has some but his plumbing section can be hit or miss.

Last edited:
I Picked up 4 3/4 inch slip - slip at Unique Aquarium (Forum Sponsor) last month. I used them all. I think -B- has more in stock but call first.

It is still leaking! Gonna drain the tank down 5" put the heater from the sump in it and let it run on powerheads over night.

that SUCKS!!!

I would watch for the glue and solvent you use - it might mess up your tank if it does not dry completely. you did prime the surfaces with MEK or similar I hope, otherwise that glue will not adhere.

Doesn't matter, still leaks. On the way to Walmart Amherst NH for a hob cheap filter, pack it with carbon so I have filtration. Moved heater to tank. Have two Jabeo WP10 for flow.

Take a breath.

How fast is it leaking? Can you get away with letting it leak into a bucket or onto a towell until tomorrow?

If no one else and no LFS is open monday, I'm sure I can find a 3/4" bulkhead for you, you'll just have to pick it up :(

Well, it was just dripping a drop every few minutes until I took the return hose off the hose barb and removed it, cleaned off the old teflon tape, installed new teflon tape and some magic lube and retightened it. That's when I heard the crack sound. There's a nice 1" long crack in the side of the bulkhead on outside of the tank where the hose barb for the return screws in. It's totally toasted now. It probably had a hairline before, I bought the tank used and it shouldn't leak at all if it's snug with teflon tape on it.
I went to the 24hr Walmart got a Whisper 30-40 internal filter to go along with my 2 WP10 pumps and I moved the heater inside the tank. I drained the sump because I really don't want to pump that stagnant water back up to the tank after it sits for a couple days. I just make 10-15 gallons of water to do a good water change after this event, I have plenty of buckets. I think I bought myself a few days with with some mechanical filtration. I'll try to get a hold of B from UA tomorrow and call Ayer Sales in Woburn. I know they'll definitely have it, they sell plumbing supplies to water filtration companies. They've never not had a part in stock when I'm repairing a lobster tank.
I'm a little paranoid about leaks. There years ago I left my RODI filter on, flooded my downstairs neighbor's condo and caused $10k worth of damage. The insurance paid for it but I now have a heighten level of caution. I get along with my neighbor, she's cool but having another event probably would go over to well.

Last edited:
as long as most of your rock in the display and not in the tank I would not worry about the filtration becoming an issue - the rock is doing most of your work so take your time and do it properly, let the welds cure long enough to dry completely and than just replace the water in the sump.
anything you have in the sump will most probably suffer from lack of circulation and you might see some die off, assuming you have any rock in the sump.
If you don't have anything live like sand and rock in the sump than the only thing you would have to worry is detritus accumulation in the display and that takes a while to happen so just take your time, find the right parts and don't rush it.
also, consider that the slip on bulkheads require glue (plastic welding) and a proper prime, both the primer and the glue are TOXIC. in case you need to work on them, like moving something or a small leak, the parts can not be reused and depending on how you install things you might have to cut them off (which most of the times is pain due to the limited space). Personally I am a fan of screw on plumbing but in some cases there's no way around weldons / slipons. I am yet to see a screwon crack, assuming it was taped properly and tighten just enough to assure a proper seal.

Everything is running fine this morning. Tank can run like this a few days. What I don't like is whoever drilled the tank drilled the return below the waterline so I have bend the line-loc up so 1-1/2 of water from tank does drain into sump when the power goes out. Gonna put two 90° elbows and move the place where the line-loc attaches up some.

Hi Bob,
I have 3/4" and 1" s/s bulkheads but i'm a drive but its here if you need it.

Bryan

Bob,

Closed today, left you a message, but give me a call...I will meet you at the shop no problem.
If I happen to miss the call, leave me a message and I will call you back and we can set something up...trying to get a little yard work done...lol

Back