Extruded PVC versus Acrylic

I purchased a new ASM-G skimmer today that is quite similar to Euro-reef skimmers. However, the ASM-G skimmers are made of "extruded PVC" to bring the manufaturing costs down. These skimmers are much cheaper than Euro-reef skimmers.

My question is how does extruded PVC compare in strength to acrylic ? Is there any difference that would be noticed in the construction and reliability of a skimmer?

Check out www.yourreef.com. They have all of the ASM-G skimmers at really good prices. From what I gathered in an RC thread, these skimmers have the same design as Euroreef skimmers, but they are much much less expensive...I ordered the C-6 to run alongside my Aerofoamer 848. If things go well, I will probably end up selling the Aerofoamer and getting a second C6.

Chuck,

It's not so much the initial strength as the internal stresses caused by the extrusion process, this is true of any "cold" worked material, "cold" being a relative term. Proper heat treatment after the extrusion process can reduce internal stresses but not to the level of the slow cooled cast material. I have seen some extruded tubing with so many internal stress cracks after a while in service you could break it with your hand. This is not to give all extruded tube a bad name but I like the cast material.

Jim

I agree with Jim, but I think for this application you should be fine..I think the Guy that is making the ASM's is from euroreef, or used to be...I think...My LFS is going to be carrying both ASMs ans Euro-reefs in the next few weeks!!!

Chuck,

I have a G-4....all I can say about the plastic is that it strikes me as being thin. I am totally paranoid about dropping the cup.

That said, the thing works. I will paraphrase a quote from RC....The thing pulls out tons of gunk, but don't play football with it.

I don't have a technical, scientific explaination, but the Aqua C 150 I replaced it with struck me as beging a lot more solid. I banged that guy around a few times without incident. The aquac was just a little too small for my system (it was one of the older models) and it is a PIA to clean.

G4 is nothing more than a big tube with a cup on the top. a la euroreef. IMHO, it's all in the pump and impellar.

As far as how long the plastic will last...I don't have a clue. I bought mine from a guy in CT who said he had it for a little over a year. I stuck it in the tub with some (OK two gallons of vinegar) and water and let that baby go for the day. Latte type foam :D . The guy didn't clean it very well. (OK not at all). I figure it was pulling out all the stuff stuck (read growing) on the side of the skimmer. By the end of the day it was crystal clear. Almost like brand new.

I know Ray was looking at buying one, but I think he is going with a Euro-reef 12-1 by the looks of things in the selling forum. Drop him a PM and see if got some other info on the G6. I Hope this helps.

-Linda
:cool:

MickyB said:
Chuck are you unhappy with the 848 or are you looking to save money on the electric bills?

Well, I replaced all 4 of my Iwaki pumps with 1 Dolphin. This pump (10,000 gph) runs the main return, the returns to my frag and refugium tanks,and the 848 skimmer. Running all of these off of that one pump works fine but I think that the 848 is not running at full strength. I could add another pump dedicated to the skimmer, but that would mean getting a new power hungry Iwaki 100. Plus, I have heard really good things about the needle wheel skimmers, especially the fact that they use much less power than a Beckett. So I decided to try a needle wheel out. For now, I will run it and the 848 together. If the ASM works out well, then I will probably sell the 848 and buy another twin ASM. For $649 I am getting the perforamnce of a much more expensive EuroReef or Deltec skimmer.

Yes, I hope

Yaktop said:
you hope. keep us posted.

Ok..I will keep you posted. A lot of good comments about these skimmers on RC. The guy who builds them is an ex-EuroReef employee and the design is very similar to EuroReef. My present skimmer is built out of really thick acrylic...seems like overkill.

I like the idea of cutting costs by cutting material costs.....as long as the skimmer performs well and lasts for a while...if it does I probably will buy another and sell my Aerofoamer 848.

If it is a piece of sxxt and if it breaks, or performs poorly (unlikely I think) I still have my 848 and will "only" be out $649 insted of thousands. We'll see ....time will tell.

To answer the original question more thoroughly, acrylic comes in two quality levels: cast and extruded. Cast acrylic has a higher concentraction of acrylic, and you can see this when you cut it...the edges are much smoother with an identical blade and cut between cast and extruded. It is cast, as it is says, and cured more slowly, at higher expense to the end user. Extruded is worked ala play-dough food factory sphagetti maker. It contains much more water and Air than cast, as less acrylic. These two imperfections can cause stress failures and dificulty machining/working the material, and the lower concentration of acrylic makes it more brittle, especially under pressure or when heated. I'm not a veteran Acrylic worker, but this is what I've been told by those who are ...

Chuck Spyropulos said:
Ok..I will keep you posted. A lot of good comments about these skimmers on RC. The guy who builds them is an ex-EuroReef employee and the design is very similar to EuroReef. My present skimmer is built out of really thick acrylic...seems like overkill.

I like the idea of cutting costs by cutting material costs.....as long as the skimmer performs well and lasts for a while...if it does I probably will buy another and sell my Aerofoamer 848.

If it is a piece of sxxt and if it breaks, or performs poorly (unlikely I think) I still have my 848 and will "only" be out $649 insted of thousands. We'll see ....time will tell.

Aquaman had indicated you couldnt run ozone through extruded material, for those who would be interested.

Ozone

Yaktop said:
Aquaman had indicated you couldnt run ozone through extruded material, for those who would be interested.

I don't run ozone presently but can anyone corroborate Yaktop's/Aquaman's claim by pointing to some concrete info like papers, specifications, manufacturer's warnings, etc.

Back