February 2012 "Member's Choice" meeting with Jake Adams!!!

Choose Jake's presentation topic!!!

• Water flow/Gyre Movement

Votes: 53 57.0%
  • LED presentation

Votes: 40 43.0%

• Total voters

afboundguy

Acan's are inedible candy
Staff Member
BRS Member
The BRS is proud to bring in Jake Adams to speak at the upcoming Saturday February 25th meeting at the Taunton MA VFW. Jake is professional, practicing aquarist who has been an active participant in the national marine aquarium community for about 15 years from Colorado. He earned a Bachelor's degree in Marine Science and he has worked with spawning corals in Puerto Rico. Jake currently is the senior editor of the popular reef aquarium blog, Reefbuilders.com. He has consulted on the design and installation of large reef tanks, retail stores and research tanks. When he isn't speaking to reef clubs or writing for marine aquarium publications, Jake likes to work with new-school freshwater planted aquaria.

You might be wondering what Jake’s topic will be for this upcoming meeting; well so are we :cool: That’s right, we’ll know as soon as you know because Jake has two great presentations he can bring to the meeting and the Board has decided to let the membership vote on the topic!

First choice is a topic on water movement in our tanks. Jake has written extensively on topics of water flow. In addition to making the case for more aggressive water movement in reef aquariums, Jake also introduced the "gyre flow" method of mass water movement for achieving higher flow speed. In this presentation Jake will show some of the different characteristics of aquarium water pumps, how their placement and orientation can dramatically affect overall flow, and how flow can change depending on your aquascape and the size of your aquarium.

Jake’s other topic is on LED aquarium lighting. Jake has years and years of examining and testing various LED systems and this topic will make sense of all the different LED systems out there. Jake describes this presentation as anything but a “lightweight fluffy” presentation and grab a chair and a beverage.

jake-adams-MMC.jpg

You can see Jake’s articles here
http://reefbuilders.com/author/jakeadams/

Tentative schedule for the meeting (this schedule may change, check back to this thread for updates as we get closer to the day of the meeting):

12noon - 12:30pm - Meet and greet/membership registration

12:45pm – 1:45pm – Speaker presentation/discussion

1:45pm – 2:15pm – Food/Raffle

2:15pm - Fragswap mayhem/socializing/meeting cleanup AKA fun stuff :D

Reminder: we try our best to keep the meeting on time, but there are a lot of things that are out of our control, so the times are subject to change, do not take these times as gospel please. Check back to this thread for updates as we get closer to the day of the meeting.

So, again the details:

Where:
David F. Adams VFW Post 611
82 Ingell St Unit 4
Taunton MA

Directions

When: Saturday, Feb 25th 2012
Time: 12 - 4 PM

Last edited:
Definitely going to try to make it to this one. Very interested in hearing the LED presentation as well as maybe picking up a few frags.

Do you need your BSR member card to attend the meeting...i became a member a couple of days ago and don't have my cars yet.

i am looking forward to the 3 1/2 hour ride again. lol cant wait, will be so worth it

I'll pay you double your cost if you bring me down some White Castle burgers and mozzarella sticks and a chocolate shake.

...I'm serious...

EDIT: You live in the wrong part of NY. DARN! Lol I NEED White Castle or Sonic!

Any way the guy will talk about both LEDs AND waterflow? Or maybe he can tell me why toadstool leathers hate me and melt like ice in the sun?

Last edited:
i can get you the boxed burgers and sticks, lol there are no white castles around me, even went on the site to see how close on was and none around me. sorry i would have your shake would have been chocolate milk by time i got there lol

They sell the sticks in a box now?
And +1 to what John K said! LED! LED! LED!
So souped for a local meeting and raffle and frag swap.
And glad to finally get to meet a lot of you guys.

And telling as to how this is a VFW, will there be beer? ^o^

SWEET!!! I might be able to make this meeting. WooHoo!! There's finally a meeting closer to me when i'm off that weekend. Almost a year as a member, think it's about time i get my arse to a meeting...lol

They're both great topics, but i'm going to vote LED since i'm in the market for a set.

Is there a possibility of getting both topics talked about? Or if time is an issue, just the key points about each?

Vic

Last edited:
I agree with Vic. I think it would be more beneficial to talk about both subjects and if time were an issue to just cliff note the key points of each. It seems like everyone wants to hear about LEDs, but according to votes, flow is winning. So it looks like a toss up still. I'd be satisfied either way I suppose though. We should bring old smokey to the meet! That BBQ thing that was at the CRA meet last summer (or the summer before, I forget). That'd be sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Flow is winning because EVERYONE has flow, can learn something new and apply it to improve their tank. As interesting as the LED presentation sounds, most people don't have LEDs or plans to buy them at this point. Speaking for myself, I don't see getting rid of my MH lights any time in the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
ADDED BONUS!!!

Paul/reefkeeper2 as usual is going to be opening up his place so us reefers can oogle and drool over his tank :cool:

If you've never seen it here's the LATEST THREAD and I'll throw in his video... I'm sure Jake Adams might be persuaded to make a stop there too (he'd be crazy not too ::)

[youtube]e4mpegYx60o[/youtube]

im def going! i went t the last meeting...i had a blast. best way t spend a sunday afternoon. Is there any way we can talk a little abut both subjects?

ADDED BONUS!!!

Paul/reefkeeper2 as usual is going to be opening up his place so us reefers can oogle and drool over his tank :cool:

If you've never seen it here's the LATEST THREAD and I'll throw in his video... I'm sure Jake Adams might be persuaded to make a stop there too (he'd be crazy not too ::)

[youtube]e4mpegYx60o[/youtube]

Wow! :: I'll definitely have to try to make this one... My dad will probably want to tag along too once I tell him he's got the opportunity to go look at that tank! :)

Back