February 2012 "Member's Choice" meeting with Jake Adams!!!

Choose Jake's presentation topic!!!

• Water flow/Gyre Movement

Votes: 53 57.0%
  • LED presentation

Votes: 40 43.0%

• Total voters
It was a really good meeting! A lot of new ppl and I believe there was at least 70 ppl who attended. I didn't leave empty handed, I won a brand new 40g breeder and went home with about $400 worth of corals and a purple tang..... Can't Waite for the auction in Framingham this march.

A big thanks to everybody who showed up. It was a fantastic meeting... Too bad Jake's presentation didn't apply to my tank as it's to small :( But I have some ideas about moving the powerheads tomorrow :D

HI All

Missed the meeting yesterday but after reading above article posted by smithcreek,are they basically saying you want to try and create a whirlpool effect with your water movement within tank

thanks for any input

A big thanks to everybody who showed up. It was a fantastic meeting... Too bad Jake's presentation didn't apply to my tank as it's to small :( But I have some ideas about moving the powerheads tomorrow :D

Gee Dave, I know now why you did not go over to Paul’s after the meeting. I do not know if it has inspired me to get the ball moving to toss in the white flag.

I know I have seen pictures on the forum of Paul's tank in the past. To see it in person is another story...

Someone needs to send a picture in to home and garden magazine. I never really understood all these new terms the kids are using these days. But I know I was "sick" when I left there.

Meeting was terrific as a bunch of my questions were answered that have been spinning in my head for some time.

Great to see everyone face to face again and watch everyone interacting on a one one one basis yesterday.

I certainly learned that my two koralia shouldn't be opposing, as I was lead to believe and that my returns don't add to the excited water movement thats needed.
I am moving and experimenting with my powerheads to create that gyro effect in my triangular tank.
Can't wait to see the difference.

that was an excellent presentation

HI All

Missed the meeting yesterday but after reading above article posted by smithcreek,are they basically saying you want to try and create a whirlpool effect with your water movement within tank

thanks for any input
You don't want to create whirlpools you want to create gyres. Whirlpools spin around the sides and gyres spin from top to bottom.

You don't want to create whirlpools you want to create gyres. Whirlpools spin around the sides and gyres spin from top to bottom.

A gyre is Not necessarily top to bottom, but it seems like Jake thinks that works best in most cases. Makes sense since most tanks are set up with the rock along the back. At the meeting he did describe a couple tanks that he uses a whirlpool type gyre in. At least for me, his basic idea boils down to use your pumps to achieve "mass nwater movement". Make them work together to get all the water in your tank moving, more like a tide than trying to create a wave crashing random turbulence by pointing pumps at each other. However you can achieve it in your tank, top to bottom gyre, whirlpool gyre, is better than thinking about flow only as what actually comes out of the end of your pump.

I have a 92 corner bowfront and was never happy with the flow. When I redid my rockwork a few months ago I decided to try to create a whirlpool effect and so far I like it much better. The idea of keeping all the water moving is not new, I think it's just been "out of fashion" for a while. As Jake put it "random/chaotic" flow is what everyone thinks is "best", and his opinion backed up with some studies he conducted show that's not necessarily correct. When I decided to try a whirlpool it was based on an old build thread right here on this forum. I think it was a peninsula tank they wanted to make sure did not collect detritus at the far end, so they created a whirlpool. A top to bottom gyre would not work in my tank. I tried it to try to get rid of dead spots and keep detritus moving, but it was great to hear Jake describe some of the other benefits. After seeing his presentation I'm seriously considering buying a couple more pumps and a controller to reverse the flow several time a day.

Last edited:
A gyre is Not necessarily top to bottom, but it seems like Jake thinks that works best in most cases. Makes sense since most tanks are set up with the rock along the back. At the meeting he did describe a couple tanks that he uses a whirlpool type gyre in. At least for me, his basic idea boils down to use your pumps to achieve "mass nwater movement". Make them work together to get all the water in your tank moving, more like a tide than trying to create a wave crashing random turbulence by pointing pumps at each other. However you can achieve it in your tank, top to bottom gyre, whirlpool gyre, is better than thinking about flow only as what actually comes out of the end of your pump.

I have a 92 corner bowfront and was never happy with the flow. When I redid my rockwork a few months ago I decided to try to create a whirlpool effect and so far I like it much better. The idea of keeping all the water moving is not new, I think it's just been "out of fashion" for a while. As Jake put it "random/chaotic" flow is what everyone thinks is "best", and his opinion backed up with some studies he conducted show that's not necessarily correct. When I decided to try a whirlpool it was based on an old build thread right here on this forum. I think it was a peninsula tank they wanted to make sure did not collect detritus at the far end, so they created a whirlpool. A top to bottom gyre would not work in my tank. I tried it to try to get rid of dead spots and keep detritus moving, but it was great to hear Jake describe some of the other benefits. After seeing his presentation I'm seriously considering buying a couple more pumps and a controller to reverse the flow several time a day.

True he was talking about the rocky mountain peninsula tank having more of a whirlpool effect. I will be changing the way my pumps are as well I have them blasting at each other.

Lucky me! I won the Maxi-Jet 1200 from the demonstration. On the way home went to Underwater World and picked up a 2nd one. I have the flow Jake was describing and I have to tell you it is intense. My sps came out very hairy once it was done. It is taking my lps some time to get used to it. I clearly had the wrong water flow in my tank. Great meeting!

Lucky me! I won the Maxi-Jet 1200 from the demonstration. On the way home went to Underwater World and picked up a 2nd one. I have the flow Jake was describing and I have to tell you it is intense. My sps came out very hairy once it was done. It is taking my lps some time to get used to it. I clearly had the wrong water flow in my tank. Great meeting!

Atlanta, y'all! Congrats, so glad you learned some good stuff - I think we all did. Can't thank those responsible for organizing these things enough.

change my ph as soon as i got home on the 54 corner.the coral seem to be reponding to the new angle better.let's see how they do in a month.

I'll be messing around with my PH's today :D Once I figure out which LED fixture to buy that is :p

Back