FHW Oil Heat (no Electric Heater) Save big bucks.

rtc_reefer

Non-member
Three weeks ago I completed a project I had planned to do for quite some time.

I removed my 500 watt heater plus one of the two 250 watt backups and replaced the main heat source for the tank (300 gallons total) with a system I designed as an additional zone off of my forced hot water oil-fired home heating system.

My main concern was the heat exchanger. Copper was out, so I got some flexible PVC tubing (red) from Lowe's (100 ft - approx $25.00) and some 90 degree 3/4 fittings. I figured that the PVC is not as conductive as copper so I "guessed" at 100 feet to submerge as the heat exchanger. No copper can touch the saltwater. I got a zone valve ($80 at Lowe's) a project box I had planned for my ATO, 1-120 volt coil solenoid, some connectors, wires of various purposes, leftover 3/4" M copper pipe, fittings, other small stuff and I was on my way. I plumbed the feed an return to the basement sump room and to the 150 gallon sump from the boiler. Sweated the fittings and the zone valve and connectors. Coiled the 100 feet of red flex PVC into the sump and covered it with LR and hooked it into the fittings. Purged the system. Pressure tested. No Leaks!

So, then I took my Finnex Thermo controller, and with the male portion of an extension cord, plugged that into the "heater" outlet of the controller. Then crimped some female blade connectors onto the wires. "plugged" those connectors into the appropriate connections (coil @ 120 volts) on the relay. Then I ran the "thermostat" wire to the relay from the zone valve and crimped connectors onto those and plugged them into the "control" side of the relay to act as a "Zone" thermostat. So now, in fact the thermo controller is controlling a zone on my oil home heating system.

My tank now has less variation in temp than with the 500 watt heater connected to the controller. 80 min - 82 max over 3 weeks. My electric bill has gone down considerably. Cannot determine exactly how much.

YMMV..
Any questions?

Pics:
Heater relay:
HeatRelay.jpg

Sump: (nicely heated!)
HeatExchanger.jpg

Controller (a bit modified!)
HeatController.jpg

Copper to PVC transition:
Copper2PVCHeatExchanger.jpg

I talked to my plumber about this same idea, didnt pull the trigger yet, works that well, hmmm. another project to do.

Great idea and I'm so dissapointed I have forced hot air. My electric bill is outrageous. I keep looking for ways to reduce it, but havn't come up with anything.

Is oil cheaper than electricity?

Depends, but usually yes. Week to week oil can be volitile but....For converting fuel BTU's to heat:

Natural gas - 85 - 95 %

Oil 70- 85 %

(Of course these two depend on the age and condition of the boiler.)

Electric: 100 % AT YOUR HOUSE,

but back at the power plant, the most modern high effecient ones be they oil or gas can barely get to 40 %.

i really think that is a great idea....i never thought of it....how about trying the same for a chiller? what can you get to cool the water pumped through hoses like you did for the heat? but then it would more than likely need to run on electricity and wouldn't be as efficient as your heater...never mind me, now i'm just typing out lound....

I actually thought of running cool water through the pipe using valves... but since the sump is in the basement, I "probably" will not need a chiller. Prior to the basement everything was in the Living room and I still didn't need a chiller so I think I'm safe.... We'll see... Worse comes to worse, I'll put a fan over the sump. That'll definitely do it.

do you have central air? that might be why you didn't need a chiller when it was all in the living room....if that is the case, then i'll bet you might actually have to heat the tank in the summer too....if your house stays around 70 or so with a/c and your basement is cooler than that....your heat will mostlikely come on.

what do you think?

Nope, no central a/c but I kep my house at 72 - 75 with window units. my basement stays @ 67 - 70 during a hot spell!

I have only installed it for about 1 month and not an entire billing cycle so I cannot guage it. I know it went down over the first partial bill. Whether or not that was due to my kids actually turning lights off, or the mod, is a toss-up. Hard to determine b/c I never did a study with a kill-a-watt prior to the project. If anyone out there has this info or has a kill-a-watt and a similar setup as mine I sure would like to know the total KWH over a week! (I have a few kill-a-watts that I would lend to someone for this purpose.)

KWH History

Rick,

Your local utility may be able to give you KWH usage history. Here in Boston area you can log online and get the data from NStar.

Rick M

I've been thinking of doing a similar thing from my hot water heater. I already have a circulator loop on it to pull hot water down from the other floors to keep the water in the pipes hot (so you don't have to run the faucets/showers as long to get hot water). Anyway, I was going to add another pump to the loop and use it to circulate water through a titanium heat exchanger (aquatic eco has some).
I have over a kw of heat (I think about 1.5 kw) so it should make significant difference...
It might wait until the fall though.

-Jeremy

The pvc and the tubing you are using is it rated to handle High temps above 140 degree. If not you should change over to pex tubing and fittings to ensure you don't have a melt down in the middle of the night. just a thought not trying to ruin a good thing. ( boiler tech for a living )

Last edited:
Back