Finally getting around to an intro

cnw4127

Non-member
Hi all,

I've been on here for about a year now, not posting much, trying to learn as much as I can. So first off thanks to all that have posted questions or just relayed the own experiences as I have learned a great deal from you all.

I started out just over a year ago with a 29 gallon reef tank and just recently upgraded to a 75 gallon tank. I use a Fluval canister filter and hang on back filter. Eventually I would like to upgrade to a sump but I am not there yet. For lighting, I use 2 led light strips and if anything it is too much light. I also have a hydro circulator that combined with the return from the filters gives the tank a good amount of circulation.

For water changes I am using distilled water from the grocery store and mixing it with Red Sea Coral Pro. I started that about 8 months ago and saw a noticeable difference in coral growth vs. buying saltwater from the LFS.

I look forward to learning more and eventually making it to a meet.

Brian

Welcome officially to BRS! 75g is a nice size. What types of coral do you have?

For corals I actually am having some issues and lost a bunch. I have a Duncan with 3 heads, a candy cane, toadstool, Fabian and Liam's clove that are all doing well. I have a sun coral that doesn't open and I just lost 2 hammers that were growing really well, and have 4 Zoa frags that haven't opened in about a month. Lastly there is an a an frag that has shrunken up and 2 sips corals that are looking sick. I cannot figure out what is causing these issues. I do weekly water changes (about 12 gallons) and my water parameters are consistently:
Salinity 1.024 (was 1.029 this week)
Calcium 380-420
Kh 9-10
Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0
Ammonia 0
Ph 8.2

Any opinions?

Welcome Aboard! Don't be such a stranger now that you have made yourself known.

For corals I actually am having some issues and lost a bunch. I have a Duncan with 3 heads, a candy cane, toadstool, Fabian and Liam's clove that are all doing well. I have a sun coral that doesn't open and I just lost 2 hammers that were growing really well, and have 4 Zoa frags that haven't opened in about a month. Lastly there is an a an frag that has shrunken up and 2 sips corals that are looking sick. I cannot figure out what is causing these issues. I do weekly water changes (about 12 gallons) and my water parameters are consistently:
Salinity 1.024 (was 1.029 this week)
Calcium 380-420
Kh 9-10
Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0
Ammonia 0
Ph 8.2

Any opinions?

My opinions would be
1) the LED strip lights aren't enough. It may seem as such, but they likely are not.
2) Sun coral are non-photosynthetic. They need to be fed manually and may only open at night until they are used to being fed in the day.
3) Try to stabilize your salinity. It is at 1.029 because water evaporated and left the salt behind. Going from 1.024 to 1.029 is a decent sized swing, A cheap ATO will resolve this. Also, I would stay closer to 1.026 for a coral tank.
4) Don't let your calcium get below 400. Try to keep it in the 420-440 range. 380 is low enough to where is wont really be used.
5) If you truly have 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates, lower that KH. Down to 7.5-8 would be better.
6) Whats your magnesium at? A calcium level of 380 with a alkalinity level of 9-10 sounds a little out of balance.

Stability is the key. If you can get to a point where your parameters are not fluctuating by much, you will see better growth and less health issues.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I am not sure what my magnesium levels are, I don't have a Mg test kit. I need to start adding more calcium and get the alkalinity down.

Thanks,
Brian

Back