Finally getting somewhere

mvallee

Non-member
After a bumpy start I feel like it is starting to look like something.

The original plan was a 180G 6X2X2 FOWLR tank tangs, puffers and a trigger but Ich wiped everything out on me so the tank sat fallow for three months and here I am starting over and going with a partial reef this time. I am still too anxious for my own good but learning. The rockwork will have to change a bit as coral placement is tough and I love the swaying soft corals the most so the stuff on the right is going to have to go for some new stepped rocks and shelfs.

Anyways here is where I am today, lots of what I have is from a fellow reefer that just wanted to get out and thought this would be a good jumping in point for me, I have added some Corals and fish since and plan to add more with a couple fish ( Tomini Tang and orange spot Goby)in QT right now but everything is doing well, growing and healthy (fingers crossed).

This is the tank, still need to work on the lighting Quad T5 48" and 2 36" Current USA Orbit Marine light which would have been perfect for the FOWLR but not the corals. I have Jebao power heads WP25 and WP60 with a JBWave maker that I am having a tough time not overpowering the corals but keeping the flow going but lots of flow options and I am getting there. too much big rock pieces especially on the right side but baby steps.
IMG_7826.jpg

My Favorite Corals, growing and coloring up nicely Gold and green hammer head, Frogspawn and purple torch

IMG_7744.jpgIMG_8087.jpg

Other cool corals include these brains, happen to catch them at the end of a feeding of the fish but they seemed to be loving what I was feeding

IMG_8079.jpgIMG_8085.jpgIMG_8111.jpg

and this brain, no idea what it is I have tried all different places and it always looks the same, currently in a low flow back corner, I sure hope it makes it I love the colors

IMG_8092.jpg

More random pics of corals, not big into names

IMG_8090.jpgIMG_8101.jpgIMG_8123.jpgIMG_8124.jpgIMG_8126.jpg

Really hoping this toadstool I got from LTR keeps growing, I have really high hopes from this little frag I love those really big toadstools I see in DT

IMG_8089.jpg

Some of the fish including some new Wrasses (checkerboard and flasher filamantous) I just got from LTR, I was too afraid to QT them but fingers crossed they looked and still look super healthy

IMG_7707.jpgIMG_7708.jpgIMG_7730.jpgIMG_8097.jpgIMG_8108.jpgIMG_8109.jpg

I know for brains I have Symphalia and open but not sure which is which. the SPS corals are red and yellow montipora a birdsnest some zoanthids, Blue Pallys and a couple rics.

That's it for now, I hope to use this thread to track growth and additions I also have a few fish and some cool shrimp that I did not take pics of but I will.

For anyone wondering what's up with my background I bought that fancy plastic aquarium background paper and the gel to make it look like it was painted on, looked great for about a month and then started pulling away. I guess the gel dried and the paper pulled away in section GRRRRR. too close to the wall now to paint so I am hoping coraline algae will cover it all soon

Thanks,
The only time I have seen it bothering anything was the brain when food lands on it and a couple times around the stony base that is sticking up out of the sand but never seen it go after the fleshy part and never seen it touch the hammers, torch or anything else even when food is on them. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

That gold hammer is giving me the most grief, I tried it up where the other hammer and torch are and it stayed sucked in, moved it down to the sand bed under the arch and it seemed to open up some but not like the other hammer, left it in the sand but pulled it out a bit to get more light and it stayed mostly closed, pushed back a little more so only the LEDS hit it and not the T5's and opens about half way, I am just going to leave it for a few weeks and see if it comes around, I really want that one to grow but as we all know we don't always get what we want. I noticed the opening is an odd shape too, long and skinny almost like a clam as opposed to the big round openings like the other hammer so might be as good as it gets.

I am so enamored with these brains, the way they respond to food especially this one is amazing

During feeding, mind you I am not feeding him just the whole tank

IMG_8156.jpg

and pulling back after about 5 minutes

IMG_8163.jpg

This is the golden torch today, you can see it's kinda pulled in and how big that opening is but it is so shrunken compared to all the others, I hope this one rebounds :-(

IMG_8160.jpg

My numbers are good CA 350, Alk 9.5 and Mg 1200 ( working on raising Mg and CA but not bad. using IO Reef Crystals. the only thing I am having a hard time with the past few weeks is temp fluctuating from 78 to 82 during the heat of the day. suggestions welcome on what I can try if you have any experience with them but assume it is a wait and see kind of thing as different heights in the tank nor flow make it any appreciable amount bigger

good to know thanks and yes a good looking fish, hoping it starts coming to the front more so we can enjoy it, it's always hiding in the back.

If it was recently added, that is not too surprising. If it has been in the tank more than a few days, then I suspect it is either being bullied or just intimidated by the larger and more aggressive tank mates. What would likely help is adding some additional (non-aggressive) column swimmers. I am partial to Wrasses myself of course, and so would say an additional Fairy/Flasher Wrasse or ten would help :) I would not skip QT though for Wrasses. They actually do just fine in QT. I typically add them to a QT, get them eating well and then after two weeks do a dose of Prazi-pro. Wait 5 days, change out 25-50% water and do a second dose of Prazi. Then usually up to 2 additional weeks for observation (so between 4-6 weeks total). Although they are fairly disease resistant, I have had several Fairy/Flasher Wrasses come to me with Ich present (from LFS and online, including Diver's Den). Just stay away from copper. Use tank transfer method if you need to treat for Ich.

Looks healthy other than staying small, The only time it looked like it was fully extended was when I went away for 4 days and my power heads stopped working and the only flow was from my sump returns, this was due to a feed setting error on my part. When I came back the glass was covered in brown slime like a dirty tank but all the LPS corals looked awesome, both hammers, torch and frogspawn.
Since then the green hammer and Frogspawn are looking great but the gold hammer and to some extent the torch has remained like the picture above. I have only had them for a month and got them all from the same fellow reefer. I have done some research on flow and think I am going to try more of a pulsing pattern as opposed to a sweeping pattern to give the tank a short wave look as opposed to constant flow and motion and hopefully I can still have no deadspots.
I think because my other softies are doing well it is just something I need to figure out with this one. I have only had them for a month and new to this so not really sure what to be looking for. Maybe this is a normal part of their acclimation to my tank and lighting as well.

As far as adding more wrasses, I am not to sure about that, I had no idea that checkerboard wrasse was going to get so big, I though they all stayed small but 11" is going to be a big fish and I have other things I want to add too. the flasher does come out to eat and is out in the open a lot just in the back, I guess that is one of the problems with a big tank and little fish, same with my Goby he has made his home on the backside of the left pillar so I usually only see his head peeking out once and a while.

If it helps any I usually put my hammers underneath my power head so they only get light flow where tentacles slightly move back and forth

Can I get an opinion on this flow pattern? I like the way the soft corals sway and not beating up the hammer as much but concerned it is not real flow but just moving water back and forth. That gold hammer I was concerned with is on the bottom in the right part of the arch. I do have a 1100GPH return pump from my sump running in as well as the Jebao 25 and 60 that are hooked up to a jbwave maker.

[video=youtube_share;cvJ141szbIk]http://youtu.be/cvJ141szbIk[/video]

Last edited:
Back