Finally got my tank right again...7 hours later

TomD

Non-member
That's right, 7 hours! Couldn't live with it anymore. People used to always ask how I kept my tank so algae free, but now people were asking, "Hey Tom, what is all the red stuff, and why are all your snails on their backs?" Corals look good though;)

I have been so focused on school and my job that I slacked bad for about 3 months. My skimmer hadn't filled a cup in a month...I said, "Hey its broke." I don't think so...it is called negligence!

I changed 30 gallons out of 100 and took every pump that touches the water to a vinegar bath and scraping. Sucked every single drop of dino out and picked the few patches of bubble algae. Scraped all the coraline from the glass, stirred the sand a bit....You get the point. Adding a Phosban reactor tomorrow and going to do some daily wc just to be sure.

Tank looks great and guess what? My skimmer works!!! I guess it was the 1/2 lb. of gunk, salt in the line, and 1/2" coraline on the wall that did it!:)

Moral of the story is it realy sucks when you have to compensate for 3 months!

Congratulations Tom...

Thanks Mike! Feels good to be back on track! Your help with the Phosban Reactor is probably going to save my tank from Dino coming back by itself.

That was the first time I have ever had dino, and it is not fun! That stuff is like a plague the way it comes so fast! My fault. That is what happens when your tank goes from unreadable phosphate to 1-2+. Probably a result of no protein skimming stemming from lack of maintenance.....

I am still going to change another 10 tonight and throw the reactor online. Just changed out some new carbon last night. Skimmer is working 100% Also don't want to shock my corals into a drasrtic change. They grew a lot faster with all these nutrients:eek:

Got a nice frag coming in next week from Brian so want to have it all good!

Back