First attempt at breeding clowns

Jacobsdad09

Non-member
Ok to start I know I don't post much on BRS but I'd really like to get some good info and a following of a couple people to help me in the journey..

Ok now on to the current project:

I was drawn to the thought of doing this a while back but really needed to get the basic understanding and husbandry of marine tanks down first before taking this step. I just recently bought my own house and have the time and space the winter to make this my project. My goal is to raise a few batches and really just sell a few to the LFS but to keep the count manageable for the time being, but if not I'm also trying to plan a frozen clown package for those w predator tanks so that they can get better good. Anyways, my current setup is not ideal and I'm starting this thread to bring everyone along for the ride:)

My plans are 3-10 gallon tanks drilled w/ 1" bulkheads that will drain to a 29 gallon with some LR, cheato and after I look around some form of skimmer. The return will be a mag 5 with multiple ball valves to adjust the flow for each tank. Also 2 sponge filters are already seeded and will stay in the sump for fry tanks so that I will have a filter in any situation.

Ok on to the pictures now:)
2 of the three brood stock tanks(3rd cracked,I rushed drilling it,smh)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415904646.286135.jpg
3rd will be in the middle and painted black to avoid any visuals with the others

Drop tray to run filter floss in, guard for return since I won't be using glass dividers in the sump

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415904772.008449.jpg

An then the livestock

Proven breeders of O. Clowns
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415904847.503057.jpg

4 yo platinum clowns
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415905044.557099.jpg

And my B&W and orange O. Clown pair
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415905194.508082.jpg

Couple of thoughts. Do not forget your phyto (if you use one, I used bottled phyto to feed rotifers) and rotifer tanks, make sure you consider frequent water changes for the rotifer part of your system. Also a Brine shrimp area that is away from your rotifer tank, if Brine contaminate your roftifer tank they will be lost.

Yea I figured I would set something up for cultures( rots and bbs) away from these tanks so that I didn't "mix" anything up, esp system wise.....that setup is coming but no rush till I get a few batches laid and hatched....honestly I think I might wing the first few batches to see what "my" specific needs are going to be so that things are simple and easy

ok i know that theres not to many people really on this thread but for a skimmer would a sca-301 be good enough for these 3 pairs of clowns?

Last edited:
Hey man, I'm trying my hand at breeding right now. Let me know if you want to compare notes. I have a snowflake spawning pair, an semi-picasso onyx x picasso spawning pair, and a black ocellaris spawning pair, with a couple other not spawning pairs. You need to checkout MBISITE.org. That's where alot of the serious breeders are, and they are willing to help. There are a couple of guys on BRS as well who can help you as well.

Yea I checked out the site just don't really have much to log and didn't want start a log if there was nothing to report lol..... I'm going to give it a bit more and start digging into fry and live culture setups so those will be ready when it's time

Back