My First Attempt at a Negative Space Aquascape (NSA)

I’ve done some pretty tough overhangs and so far so good. Color difference goes away really quick.
superglue gel topped with thin and sand is the quickes and easiest but not sure I trust it long term
Epoxy puddy comes in a close second but is a pain on wet rock. Totally trust worthy long term.
The cement takes the longest to reach full strength but is very strong and makes the most sense for wet rock since it’s water based.
there are big fans of superglue and baking powder on here. I haven’t tried it.

Looks good man! I Also had some rubble laying around so I made a piece to try to get my father in on the hobby. Liked it to much so now its going in my tank haha

Attachments

• 20220206_192303.jpg
    20220206_192303.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 203
Any Hobby Lobby or old fashioned model airplane hobby shop will have super glue (Cyanoacrylate) on the shelf. The most popular brand being Zap from Pacer products. You'll find thin, thick, and slow versions. You'll also find debonder and accelerator. The debonder works pretty slow, but it does work and won't wreck delicate materials like acetone will. You probably don't need debonder, but the accelerator is amazing. It usually comes in a pump spray and works as advertised. Just apply glue and hold in position, then give it a shot..... instant cure you can sometimes hear crackle and set immediately. Been using this brand of products for over 40 years. Non-toxic and great stuff. The accelerator forces a chemical reaction and you can be assured its cured and no off-gassing will occur in tank.

You can also make your own DIY CA accelerator by mixing a teaspoon or two of baking soda with a cup of water and put into a spray bottle.

Ive been intrigued by this method and plan on testing it out with some rock I pick up. How much of the thin glue did you use and what size tank were these structures going into?

Ive been intrigued by this method and plan on testing it out with some rock I pick up. How much of the thin glue did you use and what size tank were these structures going into?
It took a ton of glue. At least 10 of those little glue bottles from Amazon. My tank is 3' wide and it fits nicely with 2 structures.

10! thats like 100 bucks in glue! wow...might have to get a couple of the big ones from BRS. Wow thats some serious bonding ill have to do.

Honestly, I'm not even sure. I would have to do the math but, it took me about 10 of those little bottles and it was over $100 just for glue.
Damn that's a lot of glue LOL
So in your opinion if you'd do it again would you just buy the bigger ones from BRS or stick to others purchased?
I'm getting ready to do my aquascape and plan on letting it cook before placing it in the tank soon so trying to get all i need before i start LOL. Any if all help is greatly appreciated.

Damn that's a lot of glue LOL
So in your opinion if you'd do it again would you just buy the bigger ones from BRS or stick to others purchased?
I'm getting ready to do my aquascape and plan on letting it cook before placing it in the tank soon so trying to get all i need before i start LOL. Any if all help is greatly appreciated.
I actually found some bigger bottles that was 16oz of glue for like $40. I would buy that as It cost me $100 to get 20oz's. I forget where I found it, it was a google search and it was a clear bottle with blue labeling. Good luck!

Back