Flex PVC

inkslinger

Non-member
Where can I find this Flex PVC that everyone is using for there pluming and do you use PVC Glue for the connection??

Look in Lowes. That's where I got mine. The Flex PVC uses normal PVC connectors, but there is "special" pvc glue for the flex stuff. The stuff I used was blue. Don't forget the primer. ;)

You can also order on line if you need more than a few feet. I save a little more than 50% this way over the price at Lowes, but I bought a 50' roll. I also just used regular PVC purple primer and cement and have not had any problems for about a year and a half now.

Look in Lowes. That's where I got mine. The Flex PVC uses normal PVC connectors, but there is "special" pvc glue for the flex stuff. The stuff I used was blue. Don't forget the primer. ;)

I agree with Linda on the primer. You really have to make sure you get a good bond on this stuff since it is flexible and is more apt to break the bond then rigid. I used the flex on my Phosphate reactor loop and since I replace the media the flex gets moved alot and eventually broke free. However, if u get a good bond, no worries. My drains and returns near the tank have been working fine for over a year now with no leaks.

I actually always used primer on flex, and don't anymore. And there is a reason lol but I can't remember. Use either heavy duty pvc glue or one of the specialized pvc glues. Still use primer on the rigid pvc though! I'll find the reason b/c I know I'm gonna hear it from some people lol. Where are you located and what size flex are you looking for?

savko.com will get you spaflex for about half what Lowes will charge you even with the shipping. only two days away too as they are in Ohio. I go ditto on the blue pvc glue with primer also! no minimums at savko either and they have all the valves, fittings etc. you might also very inexpensive.

Like I said I did use primer on flex before and on my last set up did not and its fine. The "blue stuff" I think you can use without primer anyways, I believe it says something about that on the can, I still have that can at my clients house and will check it. As it was put to me briefly, (cant find the other email), "Flex has more plasticizer in it. It melts but does not bond well with regular pvc. The primer melts the flex easily allowing it to deform and make a tight fit. Thicker cements have a higher solids content in them that help fill the gaps more like glue." I used primer with flex for the last couple years, so if it makes you more comfy use it :)

Flex

Like I said I did use primer on flex before and on my last set up did not and its fine. The "blue stuff" I think you can use without primer anyways, I believe it says something about that on the can, I still have that can at my clients house and will check it. As it was put to me briefly, (cant find the other email), "Flex has more plasticizer in it. It melts but does not bond well with regular pvc. The primer melts the flex easily allowing it to deform and make a tight fit. Thicker cements have a higher solids content in them that help fill the gaps more like glue." I used primer with flex for the last couple years, so if it makes you more comfy use it :)

Interesting....I knew there had to be a reason that my Spa Flex pulled out of a rigid T into my phosphate reactor. But I never knew the reason. Thanks for the info.

I haven't done this. But I assume that you fill the pipes with sand, gently heat the pipe and bend it the way you want. The sand is to keep the pipe from kinking.

Makes sense. I couldn't figure out what the sand was for.

I haven't done this. But I assume that you fill the pipes with sand, gently heat the pipe and bend it the way you want. The sand is to keep the pipe from kinking.
Exactly. It really helps if you tamp the sand down for quiet some time. Done right, it looks pretty slick, without any right angles.

I do alot of pond instals and use flex pvc you can purchase the proper cement at home depot and lowes. it is a blue cement and it says all weather on it. i have never had one come free using this. another place to look for flex and fittings is www.flexpvc.com they have some of the best prices and selection also you make sure you use full depth fittings when you plumb your system. good luck

Is it called Spa Flex or Plex it's the only thing I saw at Lowes the Spa Flex only came in 1 inch the Plex came in 1/2,3/4, and 1 inch?

Back