Fliters, What are using on your reef tanks?

Ba19Ma88

Non-member
If the 75 will fit and weight will not be a problem I am going to need filter suggestions. I already have a Euroreef skimmer and lighting is 2-250 watt 10K as well as 4-24" VHO's.

I am going to look to get a filter and prob a calcium reactor. But I need to get an idea of what types of filters you recommend.

Thanks Bruce

Bruce
If you have live rock and a skimmer....you don't need anything else. You might run carbon regularly but other than that...water changes.

wrassefan said:
Bruce
If you have live rock and a skimmer....you don't need anything else. You might run carbon regularly but other than that...water changes.

how is it done on a nano reef? can't use a skimmer can you?

40302skimmer_jbj.jpg

heres one i put in my nano

Nitro: I use one (skimmer) on my 20L, it's in my sump. :D I have even seen chopped down Lee's ( I used a full sized one in my old 10 gallon) airstone skimmers used in a 5.5 gal. CPR's work well on nanos and have even seen some DIY remora's. You are limited by your imagination only and DIY skills, other than that the sky is the limit. Here is a thread on nano-reef about small DIY external skimmers for whoever is interested. I have also seen 2.5 gal pico reefs with matching 2.5 gal sump(really a fuge) underneath just like the big boys. :)

Anyway, back on topic. Live Rock, Live Sand (unless you roll a bare bottom :D)and a fat skimmer should be all the filter you need. Toss in some carbon for insurance, just change it often, maybe in combo with a bi-weekly water change. I also agree with Neo, add in a fuge to that sump. A refugium should be standard equipment on all reef tanks, too many benefits to ignore.

Back