For the people using Mag pumps as returns..

Miller

Non-member
I know people say they put a lot of heat into the water but HOLY DETRITUS!!!

So I am mixing up some water to use Sunday during the tank swap. I've got a 55 gallon barrel with close to 50 gallons of water in there. Room temp in the basement is 66 degrees right now. Yesterday when I added salt the water was of course 66 degrees. I dropped in a Mag 12 to circulate the water. Around noon today I went down to check on the water and it was 80 degrees:eek:. That Mag 12 is the only thing in that barrel other then saltwater.

14 degrees is pretty crazy IMO. No wonder our setup ran so hot when we lived in Providence and used it as a return pump.

If you use a Mag pump as a return and have heat issues during the winter I would suggest getting a different pump. You could use the Mag during the winter and something that puts less heat in the water during the summer...

what if you use them as external pumps? then are they ok in terms of heat?

nah, pumps that can be internal/external like the mags or Eheims are water cooled, which means running them externally is the same as running them internally when it comes to heat. Some people try to cool the water cooled pumps with fans when running them externally, but i doubt it's very efficient.

Try this on for size. A Mag 7 on my 58 with a 400W pendent in an enclosed canopy. No wonder I always had issues.

I run a Mag 9.5, and I had issues this past spring. The summer I had AC going so it was fine, but when is was 75. I would always shoot up to 83. I knew the pump threw some heat, but that much? That is an awful lot. Is there a way to plumb a tank with an external pump. Which could handle a return, and a PM Bullet skimmer? I need a pump for the skimmer, so I figured maybe tie in the return as well.

I ran my MAG 24 external as my return pump and never ran into issues with too much it. It was on my 180 with 40g sump. The pump would definitely get warm to the touch but it was not in the water. It was too noisy and inefficient so I now run a reeflo hammerhead external that passes no heat to the tank.

well with the water cooled pumps weather its internal or external its still going to pass heat to the water as it pumps it through, someone correct me if im wrong.

well with the water cooled pumps weather its internal or external its still going to pass heat to the water as it pumps it through, someone correct me if im wrong.

Correct, It's just a mater of how much.

With the Mag pump if you put them in the water then 100% of the heat is transferred into the water. Externally not all the heat transfers, they feel warm to the touch , therefore they transfer some of the heat to the air.

If you go with an external, air cooled pump like the reeflows then no heat is transfered. THey also tend to be allot more efficient than the magnetic drive pumps.

Back