Fragging frilly mushrooms?

shearwater

Very Junior Member
I have a frilly/hairy mushroom from HeavyDC2. Dave's mushroom has grown so that it's almost doubled in size. It's getting close to a hammer coral which will definitely win if there is a stinging contest.

Can anyone suggest how to frag the mushroom? It has grown two "bumps" in the middle which look like they may eventually break away to form new mushrooms. Thanks for your suggestions.

Peter

Hi Peter
You can cut the mushroom cap off its stem and then you can cut the mushroom cap up like a pizza pie. I use a thin fishing line (2lb test) and tie it to a piece of rubble. put it in a low flow area and it should attach within week or two.
BTW the stem will grow a new cap.

Thanks!

This one is always inflated, 3" across and 1-2" thick. I've never even seen a stem. I wish I could find the USB cable to my camera and post a picture... Could I just cut off the "bumps" and then tie them to rock like you suggested? Seems a little less radical. :D

Here is a good source of information for fraging mushrooms and other corals.http://www.garf.org/ I wouldn't worry about hurting it it's very hardy you will end up with more mushroom then you want.Just get under it with a pair of CLEAN and SHARP sissors and just snip it off. Just be prepare to catch the floating cap.
I don't think the bumps will work,but then again you never know unless you try.

Back