Got Corals from Nate?

One Eye said:
Derek, go to the stickey named "Useful Threads" right here in reef talk. Page 2 of the thread is a link to "good pictures of acro eating flatworms"

Open that, go to pages 4 and 5......

i followed that thread when you were posting it. good stuff, i just cant find any no matter what i do and in this thread it says that i definitely have them because i got corals from nate. i posted those pics because maybe somebody could pick them up because i cant see anything. i would rather see them and know i have them then get friggin dizzy trying to find them. i will hold off on trading/selling and stay away from new acro purchases for a while. i dont want the trouble of setting up a treatment tank, and stress the corals, when im not even sure if i have these worms or not.

my other question is, people on here say they have been treating for years, but what product were you using to kill the flatworms prior to levamisole? is interceptor effective against aefw?

Derek, I said a few pages back that some tanks just won't support these things, nobody knows why. Also, if buying small frags, your chances of staying clean are much better than is buying colonies or larger frags.

Chuck....who cares?

Hi Darren

I don't even care anymore:p

One Eye said:
Derek, I said a few pages back that some tanks just won't support these things, nobody knows why. Also, if buying small frags, your chances of staying clean are much better than is buying colonies or larger frags.

Chuck....who cares?

NateHanson said:
This has been a useful thread about the acro flatworms, and a constructive exchange about methods for dealing with them. Let's not completely divert it and get into a fight. If there is a personal problem, please deal with it in a PM. If there is a problem about moderation policy, bring it up in the BRS Business forum. But keep comments in this thread on topic, and non-inflamatory.

Thanks, Nate
Agreed. I just deleted several posts.
Keep the discussion of the flatworms. If you want to discuss policy, take it elsewhere. Further off-topic posts will be deleted from this thread.

AEFWs

If you do not see bare patches, eggs (easy to spot), and your corals are exhibiting good polyp extension and look reasonably healthy, I would not treat them. Just keep an eye out for the above symptoms and treat if they occur in the future.

gurumasta said:
i followed that thread when you were posting it. good stuff, i just cant find any no matter what i do and in this thread it says that i definitely have them because i got corals from nate. i posted those pics because maybe somebody could pick them up because i cant see anything. i would rather see them and know i have them then get friggin dizzy trying to find them. i will hold off on trading/selling and stay away from new acro purchases for a while. i dont want the trouble of setting up a treatment tank, and stress the corals, when im not even sure if i have these worms or not.

my other question is, people on here say they have been treating for years, but what product were you using to kill the flatworms prior to levamisole? is interceptor effective against aefw?

One Eye said:
Also, if buying small frags, your chances of staying clean are much better than is buying colonies or larger frags.

That is an excellent idea.

aHH... maybe thats why I seem to be clean...my frag was not even an inch :)

Derek I think the point of the picture taking is to take a bunch of pictures as fast as you can all at once, & you'll see shiney little dots in different locations in each picture, thats the worms moving. One pic at different angles is not gonna do that.

I do agree that if everyone dipped corals before trading AND when getting them we'd not have a problem...but we did not even know about these little bastards for what...a year after europe reefers discovered them in their tanks.

Yes, and I was under the impression that we were not aware (at least in this group) of an effective dip for them until late last fall.

covered said:
I do agree that if everyone dipped corals before trading AND when getting them we'd not have a problem...

not reality though. there are always newbies entering who don't know any better and those who don't declare. unfortunately some in our midst who just don't give a damn about others. people should only trade with those with a good reputation as well. Those who will also give this advise along with their trade "treat everything".

Todays' Sermon.

AEFWs

Nate, that is how I got them at the beginning of last year, BEFORE Levamisole was not widely used and BEFORE I even heard of AEFWs. I was dipping everything in Seachem Reef Dip (a commercially available Iodine dip) and treating for red bugs using Interceptor back then. I thought that this "old" protocol was all that was necessary and the rest is history.

NateHanson said:
Yes, and I was under the impression that we were not aware (at least in this group) of an effective dip for them until late last fall.

Thank you

Thank you father, for I have sinned.....1 hail mary, 2 hail marys...:p
Just kidding Ed, I couldn't resist:D

Yaktop said:
not reality though. there are always newbies entering who don't know any better and those who don't declare. unfortunately some in our midst who just don't give a damn about others. people should only trade with those with a good reputation as well. Those who will also give this advise along with their trade "treat everything".

Todays' Sermon.

Actually I think he may have been referancing the fact that you, in your own statements, knew you had fw's last March, but continued to sell and or trade frags after your discovery.

In this thread http://www.bostonreefers.org/FORUMS/showthread.php?t=11317&highlight=sale on post #3 you state that you lost 2 colonies to fw's 2 months prior to the post...that puts your discovery in March of 05.

You held your newbie class in April. Did any of the newbies get frags from the fragging demo?

In this thread you start selling frags until Liam calls you out on your fw problem http://www.bostonreefers.org/FORUMS/showthread.php?t=12054
You then act like it's a big new discovery and ask for the thread to get locked...to save band width.

Then, after you've been blasting fw's around your tank with a turkey baster for nearly a year, you sell in this thread http://www.bostonreefers.org/FORUMS/showthread.php?t=19571&page=13

I bought the ric rock (as you know) and found fw's on it (as you know and have openly admitted)

So where am I spreading falsehood?

One Eye said:
In this thread http://www.bostonreefers.org/FORUMS/showthread.php?t=11317&highlight=sale on post #3 you state that you lost 2 colonies to fw's 2 months prior to the post...that puts your discovery in March of 05.

You held your newbie class in April. Did any of the newbies get frags from the fragging demo?

In this thread you start selling frags until Liam calls you out on your fw problem http://www.bostonreefers.org/FORUMS/showthread.php?t=12054
You then act like it's a big new discovery and ask for the thread to get locked...to save band width.

Then, after you've been blasting fw's around your tank with a turkey baster for nearly a year, you sell in this thread http://www.bostonreefers.org/FORUMS/showthread.php?t=19571&page=13

I bought the ric rock (as you know) and found fw's on it (as you know and have openly admitted)

So where am I spreading falsehood?
That's quite a bit of research there darren!!!! WOW :eek:

Yay though I float through the reeftank of death I shall fear no flatworm for I have armed myself with faith in my new found quarantine system and hath dosed with my treatments. I've gained wisdom from the errors of my past and shall faithfully follow my new regimen for the baster hath failed me. The power head and wrasse hath left me infected whilest levaminsole hath healed me. I pay penance for my hasty conclusion of pest free systems and beg thy forgiveness for spread of infestation. For tho aret thy reefmaster.
In the name of the Reeftank, the Liverock and the Holy Acropora....AMEN :)

And I think that deserves a couple :) :)

Sorry, not meant to be a dig...just funny...me and my iota of cleverness :p

Not to ask work from someone, but...

Would it be a good idea to have a sticky with a summary of information on Acro Eating Flatworms? Signs, Symtoms, Treatments, etc???

This thread is now on its 12th page, and a more concise format might help other reefers. Would someone be willing to write something and start a thread with it. That thread can then be listed in the useful threads list.

Matt

I think that's a great idea Matt. If someone want's to put together a "review article" of the current diagnosis, treatments, life cycle, pictures, sources of levamisole, etc etc etc, I think it would be a great asset, and it would facilitate members practicing safe-reefing.

I'll sticky for a while it if someone wants to write it.

Back