Got Corals from Nate?

Reefdom said:
FWIW,
I got Acro flatworms from Ray's system before he turned it into everythingreef.
I tried all sorts of methods to rid my home tank of them.
I was successful when I sent a big batch of infested coral (livestock from ray's place when we split) to a 125g QT tank at Bigsmokeshowjoe's, for some unknown reason they all died. Still do not know why or how, but they did.
gotta be something in the water chem. if you ask me.
but for my home tank, in the end, I took down the entire tank and froze my rock in the garage. better to be safe than sorry.
At least now, I can say I am 100% not infected. got rid of my damn manjano's too.

I thought you said they died in your tank when you added them? Also I remember you bringing home a colony from a vendor at NECAC last year that was infested with them. I do have to say when my tank crashed last year and the remaining liverstock went to Joes house I kept acros out of my tank for a good 3 months and have not seen them since.
I also started usuing different distributors and have not seen them coming in on any acros (as of yet) but continue to treat for them anyway.

congrats on finally getting rid of those majano

Unfortantley not seeming them for 3 mths means nothing I guess...good thing you are treating.

Where did you get your treatments...same place hiller posted.

Ray said:
I thought you said they died in your tank when you added them? Also I remember you bringing home a colony from a vendor at NECAC last year that was infested with them. I do have to say when my tank crashed last year and the remaining liverstock went to Joes house I kept acros out of my tank for a good 3 months and have not seen them since.
I also started usuing different distributors and have not seen them coming in on any acros (as of yet) but continue to treat for them anyway.

congrats on finally getting rid of those majano

No I have not seen them in almost a year (10 or 11 months since my crash) I also treated all my acros 2 weeks ago and did not have any on them.
I kept my tank acro free for 3 months so they would have nothing to feed on and break the life cycle.

Hey clamm ... how big were the ones comming off your acro? Were they visable to the eye? maybe I should pull out the microscope? I still have the bucket of dip water.

Darren, can you elaborate on it taking 3 months for some to grow into 1/4" size? How was this test done, etc? That would be very bad news for everyone if that were the case. I have spent countless hours over the last few days reading about egg-laying marine flatworms, and none have life cycles that last anywhere near that long. Most simple flatworms such as these have life-cycles in the range of 3-4 weeks. That is why they can lay eggs shortly (a week or 2) after coming out of eggs themselves. For a simple flatworm to live even 3 months would be very unusual.

Last edited:
Here is an idea....just an idea, mind you. Everyone should make an Interceptor and Levisamole dip (soak) a routine whenever introducing new items to a system. Let's leave it at that, and stop playing the "no, it's THEIR fault game." This crap is getting everyone nowhere. Just my oh so humble opinion.

jovreef said:
Gurumasta, Try the picture method too please... I'd like to know if you see worms with the picture method & not with the dip.

So it is 2 with worms so far and 2 that dipped and does not seem to have them right? what about everyone else that got nates corals...have you dipped yet?!?!?!

i just did the picture method. i used a millepora that hasnt looked all that great lately. the base of it has turned a little green and its not as bright pink as usual, - my tank went through an alk swing and many of my corals lost color. this one just hasnt come completely back yet, but it has been starting to color up.

i left the coral out for a little over ten minutes. as soon as i put the coral back in water i took a shot as darren suggested.

Attachments

• milli.jpg
    milli.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Looking at the pic, am i supposed to be seeing something in particular? Not being sarcastic here...I don't see anything out of the ordinary. Nice orange digitata in the background!

This has been a useful thread about the acro flatworms, and a constructive exchange about methods for dealing with them. Let's not completely divert it and get into a fight. If there is a personal problem, please deal with it in a PM. If there is a problem about moderation policy, bring it up in the BRS Business forum. But keep comments in this thread on topic, and non-inflamatory.

Thanks, Nate

IffersTankSlave said:
Looking at the pic, am i supposed to be seeing something in particular? Not being sarcastic here...I don't see anything out of the ordinary. Nice orange digitata in the background!

im confused a little myself. im looking for flatworms because of the scare that nate had them and i got corals from nate. im just trying all the methods spoken about to try and track them down. and thanks, i love that digi.:)

Derek, I use the flash and take pics as fast as the camera lets me. The flash reflects off the fw's bodies and if you have them you'll see bright spots moving across the coral.

IffersTankSlave said:
Here is an idea....just an idea, mind you. Everyone should make an Interceptor and Levisamole dip (soak) a routine whenever introducing new items to a system. Let's leave it at that, and stop playing the "no, it's THEIR fault game." This crap is getting everyone nowhere. Just my oh so humble opinion.
This $hit is so old already!!!! If reefers kept up on things they would have known about these little Ba$ards over a year ago & been looking for eggs & the adults on newly acquired AC colonies. It was no secret & most experienced reefers or people who tend to research would have found all the info then. I myself have been looking for these little a holes for over two years already. I found out about them from reading on the internet. It's a big scare for everyone now. I've been scared for 2 years & I'm tired. It really doesn't matter where you got them. The person who gets them is just as much to blame as the person who gave them as far as I'm concerned. Ignorance is not an excuse!!!

ok, this one is taken out of the water after about 10 minutes and a high powered flashlight being shined on it.

Attachments

• aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 170
this one is as soon as it hit the water with the flash on this time.

Attachments

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb.jpg
    bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 166
Derek, go to the stickey named "Useful Threads" right here in reef talk. Page 2 of the thread is a link to "good pictures of acro eating flatworms"

Open that, go to pages 4 and 5......

Back