GOT THE LITTLE GUY! Acro Eating Crab!

Glewis121

Non-member
I was just looking at my tank for the last time before going to bed and I looked at my small acro collony i bought last weekend from a LFS and noticed a small white crab!

The LITTLE GUY WAS EATING MY NEW ACRO! I grabbed the tweezers and after a few minutes of chasing him around the branches I GOT HIM! and ripped him out and threw him to the floor and stomped on him!

HE IS DEAD! i got him!

haha just thought i would share.

have any of you had expiriences with these nasty little guys?

Bummer, you just killed an acro crab...live and learn. They are harmless and actually beneficial to the acro. They eat the crap that builds up in the branches and are pretty cool little critters.

I was just asking about how to acquire an acro crab because they only come in colonies. and they are so cool to watch. So sad. :( I would of paid for that pest. There are acro eating crabs lets just say its one of those crabs.

Last edited:
oops! i found somewhere online where it said they were bad...i guess live and learn.

are they necessary for the acros sucess? where can i get another?

The acro won't suffer without one. They are little helpers, that eat algae away from the acro, but the vast majority of colonies in our systems don't have them and do fine. They're not easy to get. Mostly they just come with wild-collected colonies, as a bonus.

Tweezers...place in plastic bag....float in tank.....search online, post here, and visit your LFS for IDs. I try and do 2 out of the 3 to be sure of the ID.

oops! i found somewhere online where it said they were bad...i guess live and learn.

are they necessary for the acros sucess? where can i get another?

Usually the small ones inside the acro colony with red eyes are bad....or fuzzy body...The ones with the smooth light colored shell are good & very cool!!!! & quite sought after...They only can be acquired on wild or A/C colonies...Usually a colony will have a pair in it..(but not always)

That poor little guy!!!:(
Just food for thought....next time you have something in your tank you think is suspect.....Post it on the boards here.....You will get an answer pretty quick. (usually within 15 mins or so.....unless it's 2:30 am!!!)
HTH,
B

I found one of the bad red eyed fuzzy body ones on my pokerstar monti that I got a little while back. I only noticed because white patches started appearing on the colony and upon closer inspection was able to see him literally eating the polyps.

I just recently have bought 3 emerald crab from skipton's when I released them onto my tank I notice one of them had something running around on it. it's to small to take a picture to capture those little critters but it's noticeable through the eye. it's a mid size crab.

Back