Got to keep LR 'live'

JayM

Is the algae gone yet?
BRS Member
Going today to get a big bunch of LR for my upcoming tank expansion.

The issue is I don't have a live tank to store 100 pounds of LR for the next 5-6 weeks until I get my 92 ready for deployment.

Any suggestions for the minimum to keep the LR 'live'.

I'm thinking a tank (plain jane) with a HOB filter, my retired fluorescent triple tube, and sprinkle some food in there occasionally for now. What's the temp minimum?

My existing QT is an eclipse 12g, and won't hold 100# of LR, so it's not an option. I can store it in the basement, so it doesn't need to be pretty.

Thoughts?

Rubbermaid brute trashcan. Couple powerheads, a heater. Lights would be nice, but not really that important. If you dont do lights, you'll lose some corraline, but thats not a huge deal.

i used to store bunches of LR in large rubbermaids. toss a powerhead, heater, and skimmer (if you can) in there and don't worry about it. you don't need lights and you don't need to add food. what would the food be for?

I would probabaly throw a few powerheads in there so that there is good water movement. When I was holding my rock in a rubbermade I kept the temp at about 76 although it may not have had to have been that high for just LR. Since it is not curing I wonder if you actually need a HOB filter.

It will do the rock to be in the dark for a while anyway. Just change the water every week or so and it will be in good shape when you are ready to use it in a display. Wal Mart has the tubs cheap!

Forgot the LS

JayM said:
Going today to get a big bunch of LR for my upcoming tank expansion.

The issue is I don't have a live tank to store 100 pounds of LR for the next 5-6 weeks until I get my 92 ready for deployment.

Any suggestions for the minimum to keep the LR 'live'.

I'm thinking a tank (plain jane) with a HOB filter, my retired fluorescent triple tube, and sprinkle some food in there occasionally for now. What's the temp minimum?

My existing QT is an eclipse 12g, and won't hold 100# of LR, so it's not an option. I can store it in the basement, so it doesn't need to be pretty.

Thoughts?

Getting a buch of LS at the same time. Does that change the suggestions?

You would want to more carefully control things with the sand. With the live rocks if the tiny life dies off then its no big deal since they will return once the system is up. But if you're planning to use the live sand to seed your system with these creatures, then you'll want to make sure they are able to survive and some of them can be fairly fragile in terms of what conditions they survive under.

Ditto all the above....Though I when I have done it I have added flake food occasionally to keep the bacteria from completely dying off....Personally if it isn't rock covered in algae I would feed it. It it is covered in algae then I would not feed it and keep it in the dark....Corraline always comes back....If yours doesn't you can come over and scrape my glass which is covered in it...Then you won't wish for it....

gonna buy a 75G from astro, and run it till my new 92 display comes in.....then it will become the big QT, or a frag tank

Back