Green Hair algae eating fish.

Mad Reefer

Non-member
Hello all

I have a 30 gallon reef tank set up and have a slight green hair algae problem.Water is good, cut back on feedings and lighting hours. I did all tests ( Phos etc ) everything is in the normal range ( If there is such a thing ).

My question is , besides Tangs , are there smaller fish I could keep to control this algae even more. It not too bad now, but it was. Lots of W/C's and picking out clumps. I need something that will eat this. Turbos just dont really touch it either. Hope theres something out there. Thanks

Nutrient control works best.
Use RO or RO/DI water only. Make sure your skimmer is working well. Drip kalkwasser.
Use of a refugium with macroalgae will help a lot.
Scrub the hair algae spots and siphon out the clumps.
Your snails and hermits will work well on new growth of hair algae, but don't work well on longer strands.
Red lipped blennies have been known to work too.

Hermit crabs, adult Lawnmower Blennies and small rabbitfish all sometimes eat the stuff. I think a rabbit will outgrow the tank though.

I like the avitar pic. Is that from a painting?

Mexican turbo snails work WONDERS! but they are big and nasty bulldozers...make sure all your frags are firm in their place. Rainfords gobies eat it too...great little fish.

I do agree that you need to get to the root of the problem first though...instead of just trying to find soemthing to eat it.

Ive done everything imaginable. Water quality is perfect for a reef. cut back feedings, lighting added Turbos. I really dont want to use chemicals. Its not real bad now but still keeps coming back. Phos is 0. I just cant figure it out. No filters to build up, skimming 24/7. Very strange.

Regular turbos wont take care of the long stuff...you gotta get "mexican" to get rid of the big stuff...I have "1" and he takes care of everything.

Try raising your alk levels, that worked for me. I also have one or two mexican turbos you can have to try

Back