hang-on-tank calcium reactor?

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
In order to avoid any SPS related bugs, I have not added any SPS into my SPS tank ever since I started it with live rocks I bought from Greg Hiller. All SPS in the tank are from whatever encrusted on the rocks. No RTN, no red bug and no arco flatworm. So far they grow well but I want them to grow faster. I want to add a calcium reactor. Is there a hang-on-tank calcium reactor out there because I have no sump?

Do I need a calcium reactor on a 75 gallon?

See Randy's article on calcium carbonate dosing schemes.
The answer depends on the demand in the tank, and your willingness to add 2-part supplements every day.

Yes they are expensive. I tried to buy one in China but guess what, $300 for the cheapest one, body only, no CO2 tank, no pump. On top of that, I am DIY charllenged.

Moe_K said:
See Randy's article on calcium carbonate dosing schemes.
The answer depends on the demand in the tank, and your willingness to add 2-part supplements every day.

Will dosing be as good as a calcium reactor? I am willing to dose if the effect are the same. Thanks

Dosing is a pain and it also causes pH fluctuations if done once a day. The more you're dumping in, the more it fluctuates. Right now, my tank demand seems to warrant a calcium reactor. I have tons of LPS, SPS, and a few clams.

i just dose reef calcium once a week (2 cap fulls) into my 55 reef. I have LPS (2 hammers, 2 frogspawns, goni, alveopora, cup coral) Seems to keep my calcium in god condition, at a little over 400 (420ish)...

if your planning on SPS and LPS and anthing calcium based and taking up the whole tank with it, i would suggest a reactor for just peace of mind, and cheaper in the long run.

So what makes you think you don't have acro flatworms? Where there is live acro skeletons there can be flat worms....

I can't find any and no damage ever seen on SPS. Better yet, ask Greg Hiller.

Also, I did not add any SPS in the tank since Day one and all the SPS came from the live rocks from Greg at one time. In fact, I have not bought (be able to buy) any acro so far.

The only acro I have is purple tip from Greg. I mainly interested in LPS and soft coral.

Last edited:
thanks for the link. Can you convert a canister filter to a calcium reactor?

can you, sure, but why? if you are going to do that you need to be a diy'er anyway...

I wouldn't go cheap with the reactor.

Cheap is ok. The biggest cost is the regulator and tank. If you can get those used you can whip up a calcium reactor in no time and for short money. I put one together with a quiet one pump, a couple RODI/water filter housings and some standard plumbing fittings. Whole thing cost me about $60 plus the regulator, tank and bubble counter (that I already had)...those were about $150.

And the reactor doesn't need to be hung on the tank, you can put it anywhere. You just have to have a powerhead or aqualifter to feed your tank water to it, and drip the effluent into the tank.

The other alternative is a dosing pump, so you can automatically dose the 2 part additives

You may have ph problems without a sump or fuge to drip it in. As I understand it, if you drip into a sump, some CO2 will have some time to disapate(sp?) out of the water before it hits your main. In a fuge with macro, the macro should also use up some CO2 before it hits your main.

Back