Has anyone had water tested via Triton Labs (UniqueCorals.com)?

what vida rock make out of? thanks

Last edited:
It's fired ceramic. They claim it's inert and is like putting glass in your tank. All they say is it is made from clay that they manufacture and is fired at high temps that cause the Clay to vitrify.

...stupid auto correct

A little off topic, if the manufacture's claim about surface area hold true, instead of using their expensive ceramic , why not using a bunch of sponge (the type from $ store for washing dishes).
Then you won't have to worry about Al.

Some discussion on marinepure and aluminum:
http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/ree.../176841-triton-test-trying-out-science-3.html
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23256647

And composition of marinepure ceramic from their website:
http://www.cermedia.com/marinepure-faq.php
"MarinePure is an inert aluminosilicate ceramic that has been fired over 1000°C. It will not leach into tank or pond water."

Knowledge is power. Now we can hold manufacturers claims to the fire.

I just bought a block, have not put it in yet.

A little off topic, if the manufacture's claim about surface area hold true, instead of using their expensive ceramic , why not using a bunch of sponge (the type from $ store for washing dishes).
Then you won't have to worry about Al.

Well for one, sponges would make for an ugly aquascape and my cerameco custom structure "only" ran me $500 to fill my 150 g display. That's comparable in price to using cheap Marco rocks. (150# @ $325) which I am not a fan of at all.

I'm friends with Unique Corals personally. ;) Haven't gotten a test (I have a 16g and really don't care to do so with such a mundane tank) but I do know a few people personally whom have and said it was very precise and well done results.
Tests for so much stuff.

I seriously don't think the ceramic rocks are harmful as well as the aluminum level at that concentration.

BRS did a video too but seems like their experiment method is not that...quite... correct.

Thanks stitch, I'll check it out. Dong, I wasn't really concerned with the al number, but it's interesting to note if that is where it came from considering they claim its inert. I wonder if their claim is true and my structure was improperly fired.

The silicon number I find most curious. With that much silica in my tank you would think I would have a huge diatom bloom, but I don't. Might be due to my lack of iron and nutrients.

I read the article before and I sent in my test before I added marine pure blocks. If I show no al then I'll do another test with water that has the blocks in it. I rinsed the blocks thoroughly and haven't seen any ill effects yet so we will see.

One thing I need to point out that ICP is not the best choice for accurately determining metal concentrations in seawater accord in scientific research despite using ICP is cheaper than more sensitive methods.
Back in 2004, Richard Harker did an experiment using ICP to test three pristine reef sites and ICP showed all of them has Aluminum level at ~147 ug/L using ICP.

Read the article here's a short summary: Probably not worth it if you have the kits you need. Many of the key parameters tested were pretty accurate and precise. Some were very far off, but unclear that many of these mattered. Article questions accuracy of methodology (how close numbers are to actual values) but precision seems to be high.

Back